We specialise in advising on employee restraints and representing clients in restraint of trade proceedings in various courts around Australia.
We have successfully represented clients in a number of high-profile restraint of trade cases in recent years. We use that experience to advise clients on post-termination restrictions and their enforcement.
We are experienced litigators, representing and appearing for clients in all types of employment-related litigation in the Fair Work Commission, industrial and anti-discrimination tribunals and civil courts. Claims we regularly handle include:
- unfair dismissal and unlawful termination;
- general protections (adverse action);
- discrimination (federal and state);
- wrongful dismissal;
- breach of contract;
- independent contractor; and
- underpayment of wages.
A number of our team members regularly appear as advocates in industrial and employment matters, which avoids the need to brief counsel and saves costs for clients.
We also assist clients in investigations by the Fair Work Ombudsman and other government authorities (e.g. Australian Taxation Office).
We encourage and assist clients to take a proactive approach to stem the threat of litigation by putting in place sound employment contracts and establishing the requisite policies and procedures upfront.
We regularly advise on the employment aspects of Australian and global commercial transactions, including mergers, acquisitions and sales of businesses, restructuring and outsourcing, and related transfer of business issues. This often includes advising on information and consultation obligations, collective redundancies and strategies to minimise the risk of employment-related claims.
- Obtaining indemnity costs for a national television network in relation to the employment of an executive subject to a restraint.
- Representing a group of senior executives in 4 States moving to a competitor from an ASX-listed agribusiness company.
- Representing employers and employees in reasonable notice claims in various courts.
- Defending an international accountancy firm against a multi-million dollar general protections claim in the Federal Court.
- Acting for senior executives leaving a financial services organisation to establish a separate equities business, including the transfer of a $5 billion fund and transfer of employment of approximately 20 employees across three countries.
- Appearing for a multi-national mining company in proceedings relating to an alleged unlawful stand-down of an employee.
Employment & Workplace Relations| 13 Feb 2024
This legislation aims to address the growing concerns surrounding work-life balance. We break down all the essential information for employers.
Employment & Workplace Relations| 05 Feb 2024
The visa landscape in Australia underwent significant shifts in 2023 under the Labor government, with more on the horizon in 2024.
Employment & Workplace Relations| 18 Jan 2024
The streamlined Fair Work Amendment (Closing Loopholes) Bill 2023 unexpectedly passed Parliament ahead of schedule on 7 December 2023. We provide an overview of these changes.
Employment & Workplace Relations| 15 Dec 2023
The use, supply and manufacture of all engineered stone will be prohibited, in most jurisdictions from 1 July 2024, following a meeting of Workplace Relations and Work Health and Safety Ministers.