Our expertise in industrial relations includes:
- providing dispute prevention, management and resolution advice;
- enterprise bargaining and conducting negotiations with unions and other representative bodies;
- appearing in IR disputes and arbitrations before the Fair Work Commission;
- obtaining orders to stop or prevent unlawful industrial action;
- advising on large-scale industrial disputes;
- obtaining orders regarding transferring industrial instruments; and
- advising on Fair Work Ombudsman investigations and alleged sham contracts.
- Advising clients in the higher education sector on strategies for resolving industrial disputes with the National Tertiary Education Union and the Australian Education Union, and on right of entry issues.
- Advising one of Australia’s leading retail banks on negotiation strategy, preparation and implementation of their enterprise agreement, including active involvement in all negotiations with unions and bargaining representatives.
- Acting for ASX-listed companies in the manufacturing and utility industries in the renegotiation of enterprise agreements, including obtaining an interlocutory injunction in relation to protected action damaging property.
- Obtaining orders from the Fair Work Commission to prevent the transfer of an unwanted enterprise agreement in a ‘transfer of business’ scenario.
- Providing strategic advice to a publicly listed company on the management of union right of entry disputes, and appearing on behalf of the client in the Fair Work Commission in relation to such disputes.
- Advising on protected action ballots, workplace determinations, right of entry and various industrial issues involving multiple unions
Employment & Workplace Relations| 27 Jul 2021
NSW Court of Appeal finds innuendo is sexual harassment, observing the sexualisation of women in the workplace is often not explicit
In a landmark decision, the NSW Court of Appeal has upheld a NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal Appeal Panel finding of sexual harassment as a result of a ‘mortifying’ workplace health and safety poster.
Employment & Workplace Relations| 18 Jun 2021
The Fair Work Commission’s Expert Panel for annual wage reviews (Panel) has now published its Annual Wage Review 2020-21.
Employment & Workplace Relations| 12 May 2021
Employers must ensure that they comply with enterprise agreement pre-approval requirements set out in the Fair Work Act, which in recent years have been strictly interpreted. We examine the recent case law and look at the implications for employers.
Employment & Workplace Relations| 13 Apr 2021
The ability of employees to work in multiple jobs raises some difficult issues right now, particularly in the disability, aged and health care sectors. We explore a recent Fair Work Commission case that highlights this difficulty.