Karl is an experienced litigator who understands the complicated nature of employment disputes and the effect they have on a business’ culture. He is a skilled negotiator and appreciates that sometimes less is more.
Karl advises his clients in adverse action claims at the Fair Work Commission, implementing and negotiating enterprise agreements, unfair dismissal claims, discrimination claims and contractual disputes.
Karl acts for a diverse range of clients, from those that are state based to large companies which operate throughout Australia. He regularly deals with clients in the financial services, aged care, manufacturing sectors and quasi-government bodies.
Karl is the co-lead of Hall & Wilcox’s Health & Community Industry Group, he is a member of the Law Institution of Victoria and its Litigation Section and a member of the Australian Human Resources Institute and the Industrial Relations Society of Victoria.
- Advised Nostra Property Group on its agreement to acquire Porter Davis’s multiple dwelling business.
- Advised the owners of international logistics and supply chain management specialist ACA International on its sale to Dachser.
- Advised the Waldner group on its acquisition of the business of Laboratory Systems Group Pty Ltd.
- Advised the owners of psychological and behavioural health services provider Caraniche on its sale to WISE Employment Ltd.
- Advised Deluxe Small Business Sales, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of NYSE-listed Deluxe Corporation, on the sale of all its shares in Hostopia Australia Holding Co Pty Ltd to Newfold Digital, Inc.
- Advised UK-headquartered international architectural practice Weston Williamson + Partners on the Australian aspects of the company’s sale to major consulting and engineering group Egis.
- Advising on the strategy for the implementation of an enterprise agreement covering over 3000 employees for a large financial institution.
- Acting for a large financial institution and appearing for and settling a Federal Court adverse action proceeding involving a $1m compensation claim.
- Preparing pro forma enterprise agreements to be rolled out by a national franchise to its franchisees.
- Acting for a large financial institution in respect of Federal Court proceedings in which the employee has alleged adverse action was taken by the employer failing to return the employee to work under Workcover legislation.
- Successfully defended an unfair dismissal claim brought by an ex-employee who was dismissed for bullying.
Awards and recognition
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020-2023Recommended – Labour and Employment
Employment & Workplace Relations | 17 Nov 2023
The Australian Human Rights Commission Amendment (Costs Protection) Bill 2023 (Bill) proposes to insert a modified ‘equal access’ costs protection provision, to help protect workers who bring sexual harassment claims.
Health & Community webinar library