Karl is the section leader in the firm's Employment & Workplace Relations team.
Karl is an experienced litigator who understands the complicated nature of employment disputes and the effect they have on a business’ culture. He is a skilled negotiator and appreciates that sometimes less is more.
Karl advises his clients in adverse action claims at the Fair Work Commission, implementing and negotiating enterprise agreements, unfair dismissal claims, discrimination claims and contractual disputes.
Karl acts for a diverse range of clients, from those that are state based to large companies which operate throughout Australia. He regularly deals with clients in the financial services, aged care, manufacturing sectors and quasi-government bodies.
Karl is a member of the Law Institute of Victoria and its Litigation Section and a member of the Australian Human Resources Institute and the Industrial Relations Society of Victoria.
- Advising on the strategy for the implementation of an enterprise agreement covering over 3000 employees for a large financial institution.
- Acting for a large financial institution and appearing for and settling a Federal Court adverse action proceeding involving a $1m compensation claim.
- Preparing pro forma enterprise agreements to be rolled out by a national franchise to its franchisees.
- Acting for a large financial institution in respect of Federal Court proceedings in which the employee has alleged adverse action was taken by the employer failing to return the employee to work under Workcover legislation.
- Successfully defended an unfair dismissal claim brought by an ex-employee who was dismissed for bullying.
Awards and recognition
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020-2021Recommended – Labour and Employment
Employment & Workplace Relations | 12 Oct 2021
Victoria's new COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination (Workers) Directions impose obligations on employers in Victoria about the vaccination of certain workers. Fines may be imposed for non-compliance or the provision of false information.