Hall & Wilcox Art Prize and Exhibition program – Expression of Interest
Hall & Wilcox requests Expressions of Interest (EOI) from artists who wish to enter the 2018 Hall & Wilcox Art Prize and Exhibition program.
Hall & Wilcox is a leading Australian independent business law firm. We have offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Newcastle, Perth, Canberra and Brisbane, and act nationally for Australian-based clients and multinational clients with Australian interests. We are a firm of more than 600 people, including 73 partners. We have depth and breadth of expertise across a number of practices and industry sectors.
Through the Hall & Wilcox Art Prize and Exhibition program, we support emerging Australian artists who embrace a variety of materials and technologies and respond to different cultural contexts in their works and artistic expression.
Each year Hall & Wilcox will host exhibits featuring two to three artists in its offices. Each exhibit will commence with a launch event which allows the featured artists to share their works with clients, friends and staff of Hall & Wilcox who, as potential buyers of the artworks, wish to support the development of the emerging artists.
One piece from each exhibition will be acquired by Hall & Wilcox and named as a finalist for the 2018 Hall & Wilcox Art Prize. All acquired pieces will be displayed in Hall & Wilcox’s meeting rooms and client spaces until the announcement of the winner of the Hall & Wilcox Art Prize at the launch of the first exhibition of 2019.
More information regarding Hall & Wilcox Art Prize and Exhibition program is available below.
About the Hall & Wilcox Art Prize
The Hall & Wilcox Art Prize is a national award given to one emerging Australian artist each year. The winning piece will be selected from the pool of finalists selected at each of the exhibits hosted by Hall & Wilcox across Australia.
The Hall & Wilcox Art Prize will be awarded by Hall & Wilcox’s Art Committee and announced at the launch event for the first exhibition of 2019.
Throughout 2019 the winning piece will be featured as part of the Hall & Wilcox’s art exhibits and displayed prominently in our offices with a plaque and details of the artist.
Who should submit
As a program which has been established to support emerging Australian artists, we are looking for expressions of interest from Australian artists working in any medium who are not represented by any gallery or agent and have had less than two solo exhibits.
What to submit
Please note that this call for EOI is a request for qualifications only, and not for specific works for exhibition.
In 2018 Hall & Wilcox’s Melbourne office will host exhibitions in May and October.
The May exhibition will have a Diversity theme and we are particularly interested to promote a diversity of artistic mediums and encourage performance artists, digital media specialists and sculptors. Expressions of interest for the May exhibition close on Monday 16 April 2018.
For the October exhibition, we are looking for expressions of interest from indigenous artists working in all mediums and our focus will be on Australian indigenous art. Expressions of interest for the October exhibition close on 20 July.
To express interest in exhibiting at the May or October show, please provide the following by the relevant date:
- a professional history of up to 250 words
- artist statement including:
- a brief description of your style and medium of work
- if you identify with a particular artistic genre
- estimated wall size or space required for your works
- JPEG images of the work to be exhibited or examples of other work indicative of the style and standard of work proposed (between 5-10 images)
- indicative pricing of your works and
- details of the hanging or display requirements for your works.
How will submissions be evaluated?
Submissions will be reviewed and assessed by Hall & Wilcox’s Art Committee with a particular focus on supporting emerging artists who:
- who would most benefit from the exposure offered by the Art Exhibition and Acquisition program
- embrace different media, materials and technologies and
- respond to different cultural contexts through their works and artistic expression.
Following the review of submissions, selected artists may be invited to attend a briefing at Hall & Wilcox to discuss their submission.
Exhibiting as part of the Art Exhibition and Acquisition program
Once artists have been selected for inclusion in the Art Exhibition and Acquisition Program, the Hall & Wilcox Art Committee will advise them of the proposed dates of the exhibit and provide details of the other artists who will also be exhibiting.
The Hall & Wilcox Art Committee will then work with the artists to identify works for inclusion in the exhibit. At each exhibit, we aim to show approximately 5-10 works per artist (depending on size and style of work).
All works included in an exhibition must be for available sale during the exhibition, with all proceeds of sales going to the artist.
Generally, each exhibition will be six to eight weeks in duration.
All exhibitions will be at Hall & Wilcox’s Melbourne and Sydney offices.
Hall & Wilcox assistance
Hall & Wilcox will prepare promotional material and a catalogue for each exhibition.
To mark the beginning of each exhibition, Hall & Wilcox will host a launch event at which:
- Hall & Wilcox will invite staff and clients with an interest in art acquisition
- each artist can invite up to five guests and
- a Hall & Wilcox representative will do a short introduction of the artists and the artists will be invited to do a short presentation about their works (if they wish).
Hall & Wilcox will make up to $1,500.00 in financial assistance available per exhibition (to be allocated among the exhibiting artists at Hall & Wilcox’s discretion). The financial assistance will include the pickup and delivery cost for all works and, upon provision of proof of payment, reimbursement of artist for expenses incurred in preparing for the exhibition (eg purchasing of paint and canvases).
Each exhibiting artist must ensure that:
- all works to be exhibited are ready for collection in the week prior to the exhibition
- they promptly provide all information, images and other material required by Hall & Wilcox for the production of the exhibition catalogue and promotional material
- all artwork is set, dry and ready for display
- all hanging works are fitted with D Rings suitable for the display using Hall & Wilcox’s wire and hooks tracking system and
- artists will be responsible for the packing of their artwork for transportation to and from our offices before and after the exhibition.
Applications to participate in the Hall & Wilcox Art Exhibition and prize program are now open.
Apply by completing this expression of interest document and submitting it to:
Expression of interest – Hall & Wilcox Art Prize
Hall & Wilcox Art Committee
Level 11, Rialto South Tower
525 Collins Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Hall & Wilcox Art Committee