Our graduate program is a priority for us because we recognise that today’s Law Graduates are tomorrow’s leaders of the firm. Over the years, the program has proven to be highly successful – many of our current partners completed their graduate year with us.
Our graduate programs offer Law Graduates the opportunity to work with great people at all levels and do real work for real clients.
We offer Law Graduates a one year structured program with the combination of extensive on-the-job training and support and assistance in completing compulsory PLT requirements. This combination of external and internal training gives our graduates real hands on experience and equips them with the tools and skills they need to become successful lawyers.
We’re committed to building a workplace that reflects the communities in which we operate. Hall & Wilcox invests in a diverse and inclusive workforce, providing opportunities to under-represented groups, and recognises both the opportunities and challenges presented by making the law accessible for our people and our clients for now and into the future.
We offer our Law Graduates
Law Graduates undertake a national induction program in our Melbourne office to prepare them for the year ahead.
The opportunity to gain experience in many of our practice areas through our rotations – this helps Law Graduates make an informed decision about which area they may be interested in practising in following the graduate year.
An extensive support network, including a buddy to assist with the transition from university to full-time employment, a mentor in each rotation and a Supervisor (Partner) to provide guidance throughout the year
Regular learning opportunities
These include lunchtime training sessions facilitated by Partners and Senior Lawyers who share their personal experiences, discuss their practice areas and provide technical training.
Ongoing feedback, both formal and informal.
Great workplace and culture
Last but by no means least, an opportunity for Law Graduates to immerse themselves in our great culture and have fun!
Life as a Hall & Wilcox Law Graduates.
What are we looking for?
At Hall & Wilcox, diversity is a vital component of our practise of Smarter Law and our ambition to be a pre-eminent law firm. We are committed to creating a diverse workforce and celebrate the characteristics that make each individual unique. At Hall & Wilcox, there’s no one “type” of clerk or graduate that we look for, instead, we value people from different backgrounds, different experiences and with different perspectives.
Hall & Wilcox are interested in candidates with qualities which align with our Hallmarks and Smarter Law. Some of these include:
- A creative mind and a passion for technology and innovation.
- An understanding of the changing legal landscape.
- Varied life experiences including previous work experience (legal and/or non-legal) as well as outside interests.
- Strong and consistent academics and an involvement in extra-curricular activities.
- Excellent communication skills, including language and interpersonal skills.
Hall & Wilcox review applications in a different manner, candidate details such as name, address, gender and secondary school will remain anonymous to us while we review your application.
The concept of “unconscious bias” or “hidden bias” is at the forefront of our work. We recognise that everybody has inherent biases and this means that at times, people are not as open-minded to difference as we’d like to believe. It is our goal to eliminate any unconscious or hidden bias that may exist in our review of clerkship applications. Our application form might look a bit different to other firms but the reason for this is to ensure your details remain anonymous throughout the shortlisting process.
Subject to the outcome of our seasonal clerkship priority offer process, we will then determine if we open applications up to the market for graduate positions.
Perth, Newcastle and Brisbane
Applications will open later this year with the dates to be confirmed for our 2020 graduate program.
Sydney, Newcastle, Canberra and Brisbane
Seasonal clerkship program
Each year in Melbourne, we run two seasonal clerkships – winter and summer. Our seasonal clerkship program gives students the opportunity to experience life at Hall & Wilcox.
Our clerkship program includes:
- Three week placement in one of our practice areas taking into account the clerk’s preferences.
- An induction program that provides an understanding of the firm’s structure, the work we do, our clients, training in IT systems and office procedures.
- Exposure to real work on real files – this may include drafting correspondence and documents, observing lawyers in meetings, conferences and mediations or at court, and undertaking research tasks.
- Extensive support network, including an allocated mentor and buddy for guidance and support.
- Participation in practice group training sessions, practical workshops and Law Graduate Development sessions.
- Opportunity to build your networks through meeting various partners and lawyers.
After completing your clerkship with the firm, you’ll have the opportunity to express interest in being considered for a graduate role within the firm.
Sydney, Newcastle, Canberra, Perth and Brisbane
We currently do not run a formal seasonal clerkship program in Sydney, Newcastle, Canberra, Perth and Brisbane.
Applications for our 2019/2020 Melbourne seasonal clerkship program will open on Monday 8 July 2019 and close on Sunday 11 August 2019 at 11.59 pm.