Our graduate program is a priority for us because we recognise that today’s Law Graduates are tomorrow’s leaders of the firm. Over the years, the program has proven to be highly successful – many of our current partners completed their graduate year with us.
We run graduate programs in our Melbourne, Sydney and Perth offices. Our programs offer graduates the opportunity to work with great people at all levels and do real work for real clients.
In Melbourne we offer Supervised Workplace Training (SWT) – this is one of the ways we are different from other mid and top-tier firms, as many of these firms enrol their graduates in Practical Legal Training (PLT) courses. We strongly believe that offering our Law Graduates extensive on-the-job training with SWT equips them with the skills, firm knowledge and practical experience they need.
In Sydney and Perth we offer Law Graduates a one year structured program with the combination of extensive on-the-job training and support and assistance in completing compulsory PLT requirements. This combination of external and internal training gives our graduates real hands on experience and equips them with the tools and skills they need to become successful lawyers.
We offer our Law Graduates:
- induction – Law Graduates undertake an extensive induction to prepare them for the year ahead
- opportunity to gain experience in many of our practice areas through our rotations (4 x 3 months in Melbourne and 3 x 4 months in Sydney) – this helps Law Graduates make an informed decision about which area they may be interested in practising in following the graduate year
- extensive support network, including a buddy to assist with the transition from university to full-time employment, a mentor in each rotation and a Supervisor (Partner) to provide guidance throughout the year
- regular learning opportunities – these include lunchtime training sessions facilitated by Partners and Senior Lawyers who share their personal experiences, discuss their practice areas and provide technical training
- ongoing feedback, both formal and informal and
- last but by no means least, an opportunity for Law Graduates to immerse themselves in our great culture and have fun!
Seasonal clerkship program
Each year, we run two seasonal clerkships – winter and summer. Our seasonal clerkship program gives students the opportunity to experience life at Hall & Wilcox and allows us to get to know the students.
We offer our Seasonal Clerks:
- three-week seasonal clerkship
- an induction which provides information and training to enable Seasonal Clerks to successfully complete their clerkship with us
- placement in one of our practice areas, with opportunities to make a contribution and get amongst it
- extensive support network, including a buddy, a mentor and a Supervising Partner
- exposure to real work on real files – this may include drafting correspondence and documents, observing lawyers in meetings, conferences and mediations or at court, and undertaking research tasks
- opportunities to attend firm and practice area professional development sessions, and participate in training sessions for Seasonal Clerks and
- an invaluable opportunity for students wanting to experience life as a lawyer at Hall & Wilcox.
Please see the application process below.
Sydney, Newcastle, Canberra, Perth and Brisbane
We currently do not run a formal seasonal clerkship program in Sydney, Newcastle, Canberra, Perth and Brisbane.
What does Hall & Wilcox offer to law graduates?
What are we looking for?
Generally, we look for candidates with previous work experience (legal and/or non-legal), consistent and strong academic results, good communication and interpersonal skills, and varied outside interests.
In addition, we are specifically interested in candidates with any of the following:
- Business/commercial education and/or experience.
- Experience, education or an interest in technology/innovation.
- Project management training or experience.
- Language skills
Hall & Wilcox review applications in a different manner, candidate details such as name, address and secondary school will remain anonymous to us while we review your application. Why? In recent times, the concept of “unconscious bias” or “hidden bias” has come to the forefront of our work. We recognise that everybody has inherent biases and this means that at times, we are not as open-minded to difference as we’d like to believe. So this year, it is our goal to eliminate any unconscious or hidden bias that may exist in our review of clerkship applications. Our application form might look a bit different to other firms but the reason for this is to ensure your details remain anonymous throughout the shortlisting process.
Seasonal clerkships – Apply here.
Key clerkship dates:
- Applications open – 9.00 am Monday, 9 July 2018
- Applications close – 11:59 pm Sunday, 12 August 2018
- Interview period – September 2018
- Offers made – 10.00 am Thursday, 18 October 2018
Hall & Wilcox are a signatory to the LIV Seasonal Clerkship and LIV Traineeship Guidelines.
Graduate Program 2018 – Apply here.
- Applications Open – Monday 5 March 2018
- Applications Close – Sunday 15 April 2018
- Interviews commence – week commencing 14 May 2018
- Offers – Friday 8 June 2018
- Offers for Graduate positions must be accepted or declined by – Monday 18 June 2018
Graduate Program 2017
Our Perth office may be looking to recruit Law Graduates later this year.
Applications will between August and September 2017, for our 2018 Graduate program.
Application dates and details will be confirmed in the coming months.