Respected and recognised as leaders in the field, our expert planning lawyers deliver the highest quality planning advice and solutions to a wide range of industry and government clients.
Getting the right planning advice at the right time is critical to the success of every land development and infrastructure project. We provide informed, practical and commercial advice and strategies that our clients need to confidently plan and deliver projects while achieving their commercial and community objectives. We build lasting relationships both with our clients and the best industry experts, meaning that we understand our clients’ business and their goals and we have the best people on hand to help achieve them.
We offer extensive experience in all areas including:
- preliminary due diligence advice on the regulatory requirements and merits advice on the development potential of proposed projects (including navigating Crown land issues and responding to requirements such as heritage, water, flora & fauna, acoustic, traffic, urban design and landscaping);
- advising on permit and development applications, objections and merits review and appeals on questions of law, including engaging expert witnesses and Counsel as needed or appearing as solicitor advocates;
- strategic planning reviews;
- compulsory acquisition of land and temporary occupation matters for acquiring authorities and private landowners;
- planning matter advocacy and appearances in all relevant courts, tribunals, planning panels and advisory hearings in Victoria and New South Wales, including probity and governance-related matters in ICAC proceedings NSW; and
- preparing and negotiating S173 agreements (VIC) and Voluntary Planning Agreements on behalf of private developers and state and local governments.
Local Councils – master planned developments and urban renewal projects
Acting for local councils such as Geelong City, Canterbury Bankstown City Council, Mornington Peninsula, City of Ryde, Canada Bay, North Sydney Council, The Hills Council, City of Kingston and Wyndham City across a broad range of matters including master planned developments and urban renewal projects which will deliver significant social and physical infrastructure and ensure the sustainable, long term provision of housing, transport and services within municipalities.
Local Councils – governance, probity, land acquisition, courts and tribunals
Advising and acting for local councils in relation to matters including governance and probity plans and enquiries, compulsory, voluntary and owner-initiated land acquisition and Land and Environment Court, NCAT and VCAT proceedings.
Private developers and institutional clients
Assisting private developers and institutional clients to respond to objections and obtain approvals for contentious redevelopments, including a landmark integrated health and aged care precinct with an innovative and world-leading ‘aging in place’ model of care, and other contentious projects with multiple objectors such as wind farms, quarries and gas projects.
Victorian Planning Authority
Acting for the Victorian Planning Authority in relation to growth area planning and Infrastructure Contribution Plan approvals under the new and complex ICP system.
Major infrastructure providers
Advising major infrastructure providers in relation to green-fields development of electricity, gas and water infrastructure.
Landowners and authorities
Advising landowners and authorities on all aspects of land valuation and land acquisition matters in major state government transport and infrastructure projects, including delivery of new education infrastructure as part of Victoria’s ‘Statewide Building Blitz’.
Property & Projects| 19 Oct 2021
The NSW Government has announced $183 million in new funding for social housing. The funding aims to fast-track much needed new social housing properties across NSW and support post-COVID economic recovery.
Property & Projects| 14 Oct 2021
The hot button issues in the Victorian property industry right now are the Victorian Government’s latest Build-to Rent announcements and the controversial Windfall Gains Tax. With the draft legislation now released, the wait is finally over.
Property & Projects| 25 Aug 2021
The NSW Government is seeking to consolidate five existing housing-related state environmental planning policies through the introduction of the State Environmental Planning Policy (Housing) 2021 (NSW).
Property & Projects| 30 Jul 2021
Victoria's small and medium-sized businesses will again have the benefit of commercial rent waivers and deferrals. The announcement follows the recent re-introduction of temporary relief to tenants impacted by the current lockdown in NSW.