'Stan expedited a very difficult matter in the Land Environment Court on behalf a client Property Development Company of which I worked for as Development Project Manager and Quantity Surveyor. An expert lawyer who produced an excellent outcome, highly recommend Stan for his skill in handling a tight situation.'– Gary Glover, Property Development Consultant
'Stan Kondilios and the team at Hall & Wilcox [achieved] a great result in negotiating my Development Approval with Council. I would recommend this team most highly to anyone and would draw special praise for their accurate assessment and development of strategy and their clear communication and ultimate performance.' – Robert Watt, Director
Stan has been providing legal services to Local Government in NSW since 1996 and practices primarily in the areas of Environment, Local Government and Planning Law, and is a leading trusted adviser to Local Government. He is an Environmental and Planning Law litigator, appearing for both applicants and councils. Recognising that litigation is not the only means to resolving a dispute, he has adopted a mediation and conciliation process to meet client objectives.
Stan has developed a practice in assessing and advising clients on good design of development proposals which are environmentally sustainable, to ensure proper community outcomes are realised. His studies for the Masters of the Built Environment set him apart as a leader in the legal profession when it comes to ESD assessments and environmental consequences on the built and natural environment.
Stan also advises all types of standing committees of councils with particular emphasis and participation on Development Control Committees, and has chaired Audit Committee/s and other statutory committees for metropolitan council/s.
Stan is frequently called upon to give advice to clients concerning governance relating to decision making processes, practice and procedure. He has been responsible for community liaison and representation of local issues for council and applicant clients, and plays a key role in the strategic planning for future development of Local Government areas.
Stan specialises in supporting Local Government and those who deal with Local Government, and has extensive experience with assisting councils in the procurement of projects, public and private.
Stan’s ability to identify key determinative issues for resolution, ensures the targeted allocation of resources to bring about strategic solutions.
Stan has Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Laws and a Masters in the Built Environment (Sustainable Development) from the University of New South Wales. He is a recommended lawyer in Planning & Environment - Sydney in Doyle's Guide to the Australian Legal Profession, 2015, and was a Finalist at the 2016, 2017 and 2018 Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year Awards in planning and environment.
- Advising and presenting to councils on the implications of climate change, particularly in the areas of planning.
- Ongoing experience in advising, negotiating and appearing in court and other forums for government and private clients on a range of matters concerning planning, compliance, governance, and environment.
- Drafting, advising and interpreting statutory instruments.
- Providing solid strategic advice on Voluntary Planning Agreements and their use for public benefit.
- Preparing and commencing injunctive proceedings in the Land and Environment Court seeking various declaratory orders and injunctive relief.
- Appearing as advocate in the Land and Environment Court of NSW in all range of Class of jurisdiction.
- Assisting clients in procurement of projects both public and private.
- Expert advice provided on all aspects of the Local Government Act 1993 (NSW), Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (NSW) (as amended) and other related environmental pieces of legislation.
- Advising on all legislative changes to local government, environment and planning matters.
- Assisting in the preparation and presentation to several Commissions of Inquiry and Ombudsman hearings.
- Drafting an office manual to assist advising clients on environmentally sustainable assessment and good design.
- Preparing, assessing and lodging re-zoning or gateway applications for determination.
- Expertise in classification of land and its dealings.
- Leader in advising on existing use rights.
- Drafting Legal Enforcement Guidelines touching on matters such as legislative policy and procedure, evidence required for prosecution, and the jurisdiction of the Courts.
Awards and recognition
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022 and 2023Recommended – Environment and planning
Lawyers Weekly – Partner of the Year Awards 2016-2018Finalist, Planning and Environment
Property & Projects | 25 Aug 2021
The NSW Government is seeking to consolidate five existing housing-related state environmental planning policies through the introduction of the State Environmental Planning Policy (Housing) 2021 (NSW).