Meg is a Partner in our Property and Projects team, specialising in planning and environment law.
She has over 20 years’ experience advising clients in the government, retail, residential, health, industrial, water and energy sectors. She advises on environmental and planning approvals, liabilities, and statutory regulation for major infrastructure, property developments and commercial transactions.
A significant component of her practice involves working with clients to obtain planning and environmental project approvals and rezoning of land, including running appeals and hearings before the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, Planning Panels and Ministerial Advisory Committees. Related to her specialty, Meg also advises on land acquisition and compensation matters in the context of major projects.
Meg is well regarded by her clients, consultants and other professionals as an organised problem-solver, able to explain complex legal issues in plain English. Meg brings a pragmatic perspective to legal problems, connecting and bringing together multi-disciplinary teams needed to manage environmental impacts and development projects.
Meg is a Board Member of the Victorian Planning & Environmental Law Association.
She is a recommended lawyer in Doyles Guide to the Legal Profession in Australia in their list of 'Leading Environment & Climate Change Lawyers (Victoria) 2020-2021' and 'Leading Town Planning & Development Lawyers (Victoria) 2019-2021'.
- Advising government and statutory authorities in relation to Environmental Effects Statements at the State and EPBC Approvals at the Commonwealth level, including advising on projects such as the rezoning and development of former State School sites, native vegetation exchange contracts, the divestment of Places Victoria's greenfields sites, and the Sugarloaf Pipeline Advisory Committee Hearing process.
- Advising landowners on acquisition and compensation claims in relation to the Melbourne Metro Rail Tunnel, the Westgate Tunnel project and various VicRoads road widening projects.
- Advising numerous wind energy companies on obtaining planning and environmental approvals and acoustic compliance issues arising in relation to operating projects.
- Advising retail sector clients on planning and development issues in relation to the development of shopping centres and mixed use developments.
- Advising residential apartment developers in relation to proceedings at VCAT to obtain approval for residential developments.
- Advising greenfields residential developers in relation to approvals for residential subdivision and Town Centre developments through the Precinct Structure Planning process and Planning Panel hearings.
- Advising hotel developers on VCAT appeals by objectors and in relation to compliance with height controls when amending permits.
- Advising office sector developers and superfunds on planning approvals, objections to neighbouring developments, heritage issues, s173 Agreement compliance and amendments to plans.
- Advising industrial sector clients on EES processes, Commonwealth EPBC approvals, interstate movement of waste, works approvals, environmental licences, planning approvals, contaminated land clean up and liability, and on prosecution proceedings.