We have significant experience in acting for local governments, government departments and statutory authorities. Based on our in-depth understanding of public sector processes and the unique legislative and regulatory environment in which they exist, we are well versed in addressing the complex legal, commercial and political concerns of this sector.
We have been advising government departments and agencies and local government for many years. Our people understand the culture and dynamics of the public sector environment, and are adept at complying with rigorous reporting and other accountability requirements. We are also practised model litigants, and appreciate that the solution to a problem often requires a careful balance of policy, administrative and strategic imperatives.
Our team has expertise in the key areas of law relevant to the public sector, including:
- employment and industrial relations: awards and agreements, equal opportunity, sexual harassment and bullying issues, industrial disputes, employee discipline and termination disputes, occupational health and safety advice, policies and programs, restructuring, outsourcing and workplace change strategies
- administrative law: freedom of information, privacy, statutory interpretation, and protected disclosure laws
- property law: advice on all aspects of real property, including sales, acquisitions, leasing and subdivisions, as well as planning and environmental approvals, appeals and prosecutions, and construction contracts
- commercial law: tendering and commercial contracts, trade practices/consumer and competition, information technology, corporations law, commercial contracts, and taxation and duties
- project and finance: banking and finance, construction and project management, infrastructure, insurance and risk management, and joint ventures
- dispute resolution: arbitrations, mediations, conciliations and general litigation, personal injury litigation, construction and building disputes, royal commissions and inquiries
- compulsory acquisition: we can advise on the whole life cycle of a compulsory acquisition, from advising on the need for and obtaining certification by the Governor in Council, to the referral and favourable conclusion of a disputed matter in the Supreme Court.
Examples of some of our public sector clients include City of Ballarat; City of Greater Geelong; Coliban Water; Department of Premier and Cabinet; Melbourne Water; Metropolitan Ambulance Service; Museum Victoria; Note Printing Australia Limited (a subsidiary of the Reserve Bank of Australia); Port of Melbourne Corporation; Transport Accident Commission; Transport Ticketing Authority; Victorian Auditor-General’s Office; VicRoads, WorkSafe Victoria; Wyndham City Council. We also advise a number of tertiary institutions, including Swinburne University of Technology and Victoria University.
Corporate & Commercial| 03 May 2021
A new era in environmental law in Victoria will be introduced when significant amendments to the Environment Protection Act 2017 come into force on 1 July 2021. It heralds a renewed focus on risk identification and management and new obligations to minimise impacts on human health as well as the environment.
Thinking| 01 Apr 2021
In this bumper Easter edition, be inspired by the first in our series of female startup success stories, about Mums & Co, and sit down for five minutes with Elizabeth Mildwater, CEO Greater Sydney Commission.
Employment & Workplace Relations| 10 Feb 2021
New WHS guidance material on preventing workplace sexual harassment and workplace violence and aggression released
In response to recommendation 35 of the Australian Human Rights Commission’s Respect@Work: Sexual Harassment National Inquiry Report 2020 and the #metoo movement, Safe Work Australia has released in-depth work health and safety (WHS) guidance to help persons undertaking a business or undertaking (PCBUs) to manage the risks of sexual harassment and violence and aggression occurring in the workplace.
Thinking| 17 Dec 2020
As we come to the end of a year like no other and look forward to the holidays, we farewell the year with a bumper edition of Public Law.