We have significant experience in acting for local governments, government departments and statutory authorities. Based on our in-depth understanding of public sector processes and the unique legislative and regulatory environment in which they exist, we are well versed in addressing the complex legal, commercial and political concerns of this sector.
We have been advising government departments and agencies and local government for many years. Our people understand the culture and dynamics of the public sector environment, and are adept at complying with rigorous reporting and other accountability requirements. We are also practised model litigants, and appreciate that the solution to a problem often requires a careful balance of policy, administrative and strategic imperatives.
Our team has expertise in the key areas of law relevant to the public sector, including:
- employment and industrial relations: awards and agreements, equal opportunity, sexual harassment and bullying issues, industrial disputes, employee discipline and termination disputes, occupational health and safety advice, policies and programs, restructuring, outsourcing and workplace change strategies.
- administrative law: freedom of information, privacy, statutory interpretation, and protected disclosure laws.
- property law: advice on all aspects of real property, including sales, acquisitions, leasing and subdivisions, as well as planning and environmental approvals, appeals and prosecutions, and construction contracts.
- commercial law: tendering and commercial contracts, trade practices/consumer and competition, information technology, corporations law, commercial contracts, and taxation and duties.
- project and finance: banking and finance, construction and project management, infrastructure, insurance and risk management, and joint ventures.
- dispute resolution: arbitrations, mediations, conciliations and general litigation, personal injury litigation, construction and building disputes, royal commissions and inquiries.
- compulsory acquisition: we can advise on the whole life cycle of a compulsory acquisition, from advising on the need for and obtaining certification by the Governor in Council, to the referral and favourable conclusion of a disputed matter in the Supreme Court.
Examples of some of our public sector clients include City of Ballarat; City of Greater Geelong; Coliban Water; Department of Premier and Cabinet; Melbourne Water; Metropolitan Ambulance Service; Museum Victoria; Note Printing Australia Limited (a subsidiary of the Reserve Bank of Australia); Port of Melbourne Corporation; Transport Accident Commission; Transport Ticketing Authority; Victorian Auditor-General’s Office; VicRoads, WorkSafe Victoria; Wyndham City Council. We also advise a number of tertiary institutions, including Swinburne University of Technology and Victoria University.
Public Sector| 19 Oct 2021
The NSW Government has announced $183 million in new funding for social housing. The funding aims to fast-track much needed new social housing properties across NSW and support post-COVID economic recovery.
Public Sector| 11 Aug 2021
With the promise of spring on its way, and freshly inspired by the wonderful performances at the Olympics, we invite you to take a break as we share some inspirational stories (and cautionary tales) in this edition of our Public Law magazine.
Public Sector| 21 Jul 2021
The NSW Government last week introduced the Retail and Other Commercial Leases Regulation 2021 to give temporary relief to tenants impacted by the current lockdown in NSW.
Public Sector| 21 Jun 2021
With 1 July just around the corner, have you determined whether you need a new development or operating licence or a new permit or registration for your activities under Victoria’s new environmental protection reforms?