“Martin Ross has extensive experience advising on the full range of issues faced by sporting organisations, assisting with both commercial and disputes matters. Interviewees report: ‘He’s worked in this area his whole working life and has built a really good sports practice; he’s exactly what we want from an external lawyer’.” Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017
Martin practices commercial law with extensive experience in contracts and commercial litigation. Martin focuses on corporate, commercial, regulatory and private clients, with particular expertise in the sports and media sectors.
Martin’s clients include public and private corporations, numerous well known national and international sporting organisations, governing bodies, athletes, sponsors, agencies and high profile individuals.
Martin has worked on high profile and complex transactions and litigation, including media rights transactions, major sponsorship agreements, M&A in sport, governance, and rules and regulations.
Martin is well known for his expert, prompt and commercially focused advice on high profile, high value and strategically important matters.
He is listed in the spotlight table for sports law in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017 and as a recognised practitioner in TMT:Media. Martin is also listed in the 2016 Who’s Who Legal International Directory in Sports and Entertainment law and in The Best Lawyers in Australia in sports law and defamation and media law for the last two years.
Martin is a director of the Australian and New Zealand Sports Law Association (ANZSLA) and a founding and current member of the Law Institute’s Sports Law Committee.
- Acting for buyers and sellers of businesses and companies, including businesses in the sports and entertainment industry.
- Advising in complex, high value media rights transactions across free-to-air television, subscription television, and digital platforms.
- Acting for both sponsors and sponsored parties in relation to major sponsorships agreements.
- Assisting clients with negotiations and drafting documents relating to the redevelopment and hire of major sporting facilities across multiple Australia jurisdictions.
- Advising clients on all aspects of the establishment and operation of major events, both in Australia and overseas.
- Assisting with corporate restructures, drafting constitutions for public companies, incorporating and de-registering entities and converting entities into corporations.
- Providing advice to boards and senior executives in relation to governance and disciplinary issues.
- Conducting proceedings in the Federal Court and Supreme Court.
- Drafting rules and regulations for sporting organisations.
- Advising on policy issues and preparing submissions for various clients to Government and related bodies, including the Australian Law Reform Commission and numerous Commonwealth inquiries.