Hall & Wilcox’s Sports and Entertainment team is well known for its high quality, prompt and commercially focused work on high profile, high value and strategically important matters.
We have in-depth understanding of medium to large enterprises, and the regulatory framework in which they operate. The team has worked on many large media rights transactions, major sponsorship agreements, M&As in sport, governance, rules and regulations, and disputes.
Our Sports and Entertainment law team are experienced in acting for some of the largest and most prominent sporting organisations in Australia and internationally, public and private corporations, governing bodies, athletes, sponsors, agencies, and high profile individuals involved in significant transactions and disputes.
Our multidisciplinary team assist clients on all industry related matters including:
- media - transactional
- media - regulatory
- litigation and sports disputes
- intellectual property
- employment and industrial relations
- public liability
We have extensive multidisciplinary experience in acting for clients in the sports and entertainment industries. Our team can assist clients with all sports and entertainment law matters, including:
- Commercial– structuring and negotiating commercial agreements, including media rights, sponsorship and marketing agreements, venue and stadia hiring agreements and general contract preparation, standard terms and conditions, and sales and purchases of sporting and entertainment businesses.
- Governance– drafting and implementing rules and regulations, structuring and restructuring sporting organisations, competitions and clubs, and advising on directors’ duties and governance obligations.
- Litigation– commercial and non-commercial disputes and disciplinary matters.
- Intellectual Property– licensing of intellectual property rights, copyright protection, trade mark applications, infringements and oppositions.
- Property– venue financing arrangements, building and construction projects, hiring, management and usage agreements.
- Employment & Industrial Relations– employment and contractor agreements, workplace strategies, industrial and common law disputes, termination of employment, redundancies, discrimination claims, immigration and visa applications.
- Individuals– talent agreements, athlete management advice, employment and sponsorship arrangements, taxation advice and Olympic selection disputes.
Industry knowledge and participation
Members of the Hall & Wilcox’s Sports and Entertainment team are active in the industry and are members of the Australian and New Zealand Sports Law Association (ANZSLA), the Law Institute of Victoria’s Sports Law committee and are legal practitioners on the Commonwealth Government’s National Sports Tribunal Legal Assistance Panel. Practice lead, Martin Ross, is President of the ANZSLA and is a Member of the National Sports Tribunal.
What our clients say about us
‘The team cover a wide range of speciality so that whatever our issue is we receive expert attention from a variety of individuals.’ Legal 500 2022
‘Martin Ross is our lead Partner and he has a deep understanding of our business. He has a unique ability to communicate with our team in a way that we understand the reasoning behind the advice.’ Legal 500 2022
'They're very commercial and practical, and focused on addressing the highest risks. The Hall & Wilcox team has great expertise and experience, and great client service.' Chambers 2022
'The team has strong follow-up on outstanding matters. They always provide good advice to protect our interests.' Chambers 2022
Sports & Entertainment| 10 Mar 2022
The Victorian Government has moved to address a gap under existing law that permitted certain selling practices in connection with tickets for major sporting and entertainment events.
Sports & Entertainment| 07 Mar 2022
When Western Australia’s new work health and safety laws come into operation this month, circumstances may arise when it’s not possible to achieve compliance, or full compliance, with an obligation or requirement under the applicable regulations.
Sports & Entertainment| 02 Mar 2022
Behind the competitions held at the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics, the Court of Arbitration for Sport, through an ad hoc tribunal, worked to arbitrate disputes over qualification and eligibility and doping-related matters.
Sports & Entertainment| 08 Feb 2022
Under Western Australia’s new Work Health and Safety Act 2020, the option to agree to an enforceable undertaking will become available in far broader circumstances and facilitate tailored and comprehensive health and safety benefits to the workplace, industry and the wider community.