Better technology, faster communication and continual changes in the international economy has seen increased overseas investment into Australia.
At the same time, many Australian companies continue to grow into global entities and invest on the international stage. This has been encouraged by trade agreements between nations that drive trade, but, in some cases, are also tempered by specific investment rules.
With a large number of existing international clients and Australian clients deciding to take on the global economy, our long established international team has the expertise and experience to support these companies.
We are a full service, independent business law firm with a reputation as a leading law firm across a number of core areas of practice and sectors. To many of our clients, we are also a commercial advisor and strategic partner, operating as an extension of their team.
Over many years, our lawyers have been advising on cross border transactions and disputes and developing a practical understanding of the business environment outside of Australia. By remaining an independent firm, when many in Australia merged to become global, we have the flexibility to work with clients and other firms with fewer restrictions.
We have several international desks led by partners and senior lawyers who are native speakers and understand first hand, the commercial and legal issues of doing business in that country.
We deliver Smarter Law. This means being smarter across our entire business for the benefit of our clients. Our commitment to excellence and strong business relationships underpins our progressive approach. We are imaginative, agile, tech savvy, good value for money, efficient, consistent and easy to do business with. We collaborate with our clients to meet their individual and unique needs.
Our international companies we work with
As an independent firm, we have the flexibility to work with clients and other firms from around the world.
China Construction Bank
Dolce & Gabanna
Lloyd's of London syndicate
Chambers Asia Pacific 2021
We are ranked in eight practice areas in Chambers Asia Pacific 2021. Six Hall & Wilcox partners are ranked as leading individuals in their respective areas.
Hall & Wilcox Best Lawyers 2021
Hall & Wilcox has 59 lawyers ranked in the 2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in Australia, as published in the Australian Financial Review. The recognised lawyers come from a variety of different practice areas, including commercial law, superannuation, employment law, real estate property law, insurance law, tax law and litigation.
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021
Hall & Wilcox expertise has been recognised in 10 practice areas by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021. The ranked areas include banking and finance, construction, corporate and M&A, data protection, dispute resolution and litigation, insurance, labour and employment, media and entertainment, real estate and tax.
MergerMarket Australia M&A Awards 2020
- Advising one of the world’s largest international skincare and cosmetics companies headquartered in South Korea on the acquisition of a significant minority interest in shares in an Australian company with a well-known luxury skincare brand.
- Advising Baxters Food Group, an international family-owned food manufacturing business headquartered in Fochabers, Scotland, with operations in the UK, Poland, Canada and Australia. We acted for Baxters in three acquisitions in Australia and the team has provided services across our corporate & commercial, property, employment and banking groups in a range of matters, including the acquisition of complementary Australian food manufacturers and associated brands.
- Acting for the head company of a UK-based family-owned global publishing business with distribution in the US, Asia and Australia. The project involved the restructure and sale of the Australian business.
- Providing corporate and commercial advice to Weyco Group Inc in the US in the acquisition of a majority interest in the Australian licensee, Florsheim Australia Pty Ltd. Florsheim was at that time a family-controlled company listed on the NYSE.
- Advising a supplier of automotive aftermarket products on its multi-million dollar acquisition of all shares in a leading manufacturer and supplier of Australian designed suspension solutions for commercial vehicles. This involved conducting due diligence on the target business, negotiating the sale contract, and assisting our client and shareholder representatives in South Africa with pre and post-completion matters.
- Assisting with all aspects of the restructure and sale of the operator of a New Zealand transport company’s Australian lubricants supply business. We assisted with all aspects of the multi-million-dollar transaction, including assisting with pre-sale structuring, due diligence, preparation and negotiation of all transaction documents, sale price structuring, and assisting with completion steps and related transactions.
- Advising Boost Juice founders Janine and Jeff Allis in the sale of a majority stake in Boost Investment Group to US-based private equity firm The Riverside Company.
- Acting for Intershop Communications AG, a German-based eCommerce software provider, in the entering into of major IT contracts with various clients including Telstra and Australia Post.
- Advising Austrian-based Knill Group on their acquisition of an Australian company.
- Advising Einhell Germany AG on their acquisition of the Ozito group of companies.
- Worked on behalf of Shaunglin Automotive Parts Manufacturing Co on purchasing Australian and Chinese operations from Geely Holdings Group worth US$500 million, including the preparation and review of contracts of sale, joint venture contracts and distribution and guaranteed supply agreements in China.
- Negotiating a A$20 million acquisition by a high-profile Chinese celebrity of a minority shareholding in an Australian organics business, including drafting downstream Chinese distribution and marketing agreements.
- Negotiated a multi-million-dollar joint venturing investment by Intense Solar China into an Australian solar energy equipment R&D and manufacturing company, including negotiations of IP licenses, distribution and shareholder arrangements.
- Negotiated a A$80 million investment by major Chinese State Owned Dairy Enterprise in investing in and joint venturing with an Australia dairy producer to build an infant formulae manufacturing plant in regional Victoria and a five-year annual off take agreement for infant formulae into China worth in excess of A$1 billion.
- Negotiating a A$40 million joint venture between an Australian private dairy producer and a large Chinese regional infant formulae producer to construct and develop an infant formulae canning line in Victoria and the drafting and negotiation of long term supply and off take agreements.
- Acting for global packaging giant Sealed Air Corporate, famous for inventing Bubble Wrap®, in relation to the Australian aspects of the sale of its Diversey Care division. The global value of the deal is US$3.2 billion.
- Acting for travel information company Lonely Planet founders, Tony and Maureen Wheeler, on the sale of a 75% interest in Lonely Planet to BBC Worldwide.
- Acting for Sauber Motorsport AG in high-profile and urgent proceedings brought by former driver Giedo van der Garde immediately prior to the 2015 Melbourne Grand Prix.
- Acting for APN Property Group on bilateral and syndicated cross border facility agreements for 36 retail properties in seven European countries, including Germany and Austria.
- Acting for Wengfu (Group) Co. Ltd, a Chinese State Owned Enterprise, in its proposed acquisition of an Australian fertiliser distribution business.