With a large number of existing international clients and Australian clients deciding to take on the global economy, our long established international team has the expertise and experience to support these companies.
We are a full service, independent business law firm with a reputation as a leading law firm across a number of core areas of practice and sectors. To many of our clients, we are also a commercial advisor and strategic partner, operating as an extension of their team.
Over many years, our lawyers have been advising on cross border transactions and disputes and developing a practical understanding of the business environment outside of Australia. By remaining an independent firm, when many in Australia merged to become global, we have the flexibility to work with clients and other firms with fewer restrictions.
We have several international desks led by partners and senior lawyers who are native speakers and understand first hand, the commercial and legal issues of doing business in that country.
We are ranked in nine practice areas in Chambers Asia Pacific 2021. Eight Hall & Wilcox partners are ranked as leading individuals in their respective areas.
Hall & Wilcox has 61 lawyers ranked in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in Australia. The recognised lawyers come from a variety of different practice areas, including commercial law, superannuation, employment law, real estate property law, insurance law, tax law and litigation.
Hall & Wilcox expertise has been recognised in 10 practice areas by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021. The ranked areas include banking and finance, construction, corporate and M&A, data protection, dispute resolution and litigation, insurance, labour and employment, media and entertainment, real estate and tax.
- Acted on Focus Financial Partners acquisition of Melbourne-headquartered ultra-high net worth financial adviser Escala Partners.
- Advised leading international medical technology consultancy PharmaLex GmbH on its acquisition of a majority interest in Australian health science consultancy Brandwood CKC.
- Advising one of the world’s largest international skincare and cosmetics companies headquartered in South Korea on the acquisition of a significant minority interest in shares in an Australian company with a well-known luxury skincare brand.
- Advising Baxters Food Group, an international family-owned food manufacturing business headquartered in Fochabers, Scotland, with operations in the UK, Poland, Canada and Australia. We acted for Baxters in three acquisitions in Australia and the team has provided services across our corporate & commercial, property, employment and banking groups in a range of matters, including the acquisition of complementary Australian food manufacturers and associated brands.
- Acting for the head company of a UK-based family-owned global publishing business with distribution in the US, Asia and Australia. The project involved the restructure and sale of the Australian business.
- Providing corporate and commercial advice to Weyco Group Inc in the US in the acquisition of a majority interest in the Australian licensee, Florsheim Australia Pty Ltd. Florsheim was at that time a family-controlled company listed on the NYSE.
- Advising a supplier of automotive aftermarket products on its multi-million dollar acquisition of all shares in a leading manufacturer and supplier of Australian designed suspension solutions for commercial vehicles. This involved conducting due diligence on the target business, negotiating the sale contract, and assisting our client and shareholder representatives in South Africa with pre and post-completion matters.
- Assisting with all aspects of the restructure and sale of the operator of a New Zealand transport company’s Australian lubricants supply business. We assisted with all aspects of the multi-million-dollar transaction, including assisting with pre-sale structuring, due diligence, preparation and negotiation of all transaction documents, sale price structuring, and assisting with completion steps and related transactions.
- Advising Boost Juice founders Janine and Jeff Allis in the sale of a majority stake in Boost Investment Group to US-based private equity firm The Riverside Company.
- Acting for Intershop Communications AG, a German-based eCommerce software provider, in the entering into of major IT contracts with various clients including Telstra and Australia Post.
- Advising Austrian-based Knill Group on their acquisition of an Australian company.
- Advising Einhell Germany AG on their acquisition of the Ozito group of companies.
- Worked on behalf of Shaunglin Automotive Parts Manufacturing Co on purchasing Australian and Chinese operations from Geely Holdings Group worth US$500 million, including the preparation and review of contracts of sale, joint venture contracts and distribution and guaranteed supply agreements in China.
- Negotiating a A$20 million acquisition by a high-profile Chinese celebrity of a minority shareholding in an Australian organics business, including drafting downstream Chinese distribution and marketing agreements.
- Negotiated a multi-million-dollar joint venturing investment by Intense Solar China into an Australian solar energy equipment R&D and manufacturing company, including negotiations of IP licenses, distribution and shareholder arrangements.
- Negotiated a A$80 million investment by major Chinese State Owned Dairy Enterprise in investing in and joint venturing with an Australia dairy producer to build an infant formulae manufacturing plant in regional Victoria and a five-year annual off take agreement for infant formulae into China worth in excess of A$1 billion.
- Negotiating a A$40 million joint venture between an Australian private dairy producer and a large Chinese regional infant formulae producer to construct and develop an infant formulae canning line in Victoria and the drafting and negotiation of long term supply and off take agreements.
- Acting for global packaging giant Sealed Air Corporate, famous for inventing Bubble Wrap®, in relation to the Australian aspects of the sale of its Diversey Care division. The global value of the deal is US$3.2 billion.
- Acting for travel information company Lonely Planet founders, Tony and Maureen Wheeler, on the sale of a 75% interest in Lonely Planet to BBC Worldwide.
- Acting for Sauber Motorsport AG in high-profile and urgent proceedings brought by former driver Giedo van der Garde immediately prior to the 2015 Melbourne Grand Prix.
- Acting for APN Property Group on bilateral and syndicated cross border facility agreements for 36 retail properties in seven European countries, including Germany and Austria.
- Acting for Wengfu (Group) Co. Ltd, a Chinese State Owned Enterprise, in its proposed acquisition of an Australian fertiliser distribution business.
Partner & Head of International Practice
Oliver is a corporate partner, whose practice focuses on mergers & acquisitions, corporate advisory, divestments, foreign investments and start-up capital raising.
More about Oliver
Partner & Head of China Practice
Fluent in Mandarin
Eugene specialises in capital raising, funds management, financial services licensing and anti-money laundering law.
More about Eugene
Since arriving in Australia Albert has worked on various types of commercial disputes, for a range of clients including the Greater Building Society, Newcastle Airport, Port Stephens Council and various engineering companies based in Newcastle and the Hunter Valley.
More about Albert
Partner & Head of SE Asia Practice
Ed’s practice covers private mergers & acquisitions (both local and international), with particular specialism in mid-market deals in Australia, distressed M&A and inbound international transactions. Ed has significant experience running large projects including company establishment, corporate restructures and succession for large family groups.
More about Ed
Dr Wolfgang Babeck
Fluent in French | German | Russian | Spanish
Dr Wolfgang Babeck has more than 20 years’ experience as a corporate and commercial lawyer and is admitted in New South Wales, England & Wales and as Rechtsanwalt in Germany. Wolfgang is a consultant to the firm and co-heads our European desk.
More about Wolfgang
Partner & Head of UK Practice
Chris Brown is a commercial lawyer with 20 plus years’ experience in corporate transactions and advice.
More about Christopher
Corporate & Commercial| 16 Aug 2021
Treasury has released updated FIRB Guidance Notes which aim to provide greater clarity to investors ...
Corporate & Commercial| 16 Dec 2020
Pre-COVID foreign investment thresholds to be reinstated from 1 January 2021, as major FIRB reforms take effect
The across-the-board $0 monetary screening threshold for all foreign investments will be lifted on 1 January 2021, as ...
Corporate & Commercial| 04 Sep 2020
Restoration of pre-COVID FIRB monetary thresholds: renewal of leases for non-sensitive developed commercial land
The Federal Government has amended the Foreign Acquisitions and Takeovers Regulation 2015 to reinstate the pre-COVID ...