Chris is a commercial lawyer with over 20 years’ experience in corporate transactions and advice. He is a Partner at Hall & Wilcox and leads the firm’s UK desk.
His transactional experience covers advice to clients on both public company takeovers and private M&A deals, including business and share sales, auction processes, equity investments and joint ventures. He has also advised clients on IPOs and other fundraising activities.
With particular expertise in advice and transactions in the finance and insurance sectors, Chris has acted for wealth managers and life and general insurers. He advises institutional and non-institutional investors, in Australia and overseas, on acquisitions, disposals and other matters across wealth management and insurance. His clients include asset managers, life and general insurers, financial advice groups, product distributors, investment platforms and other asset administrators.
Chris also advises local companies and their owners on transformational deals and other matters, including succession planning, third party investment, joint ventures, management equity deals, shareholders agreements and outright sales.
He has acted for numerous overseas investors into Australia, in particular those from North America and Japan.
Chris is a dual-qualified lawyer admitted to practice in Australia and in England and Wales. Before joining Hall & Wilcox he was a Partner for nine years in the Corporate Division of a large Australian law firm. He has also worked as a Corporate Counsel for a leading global financial institution.
- Acted for Focus Financial Partners (the leading international partnership of independent, fiduciary wealth management businesses) on wealth management investment in Australia.
- Acted for IAG on its acquisition of the Wesfarmers insurance underwriting business in Australia and New Zealand.
- Assisted AMP, Macquarie Bank, Suncorp, NAB, CBA, Westpac/BT and ANZ on numerous transactions and other matters affecting their advice businesses.
- Acted for Outsourcing Inc. of Japan on its acquisition of a majority interest in leading Australian workforce service provider, Beddison Group.
- Assisted NSW Treasury on its $5 billion plus 99 year lease of each of Ports Botany and Kembla.
- Acted for Count Financial on its $375 million acquisition by scheme of arrangement by Commonwealth Bank.
- Acted for Suncorp-Metway on the sale of its Tyndall asset management business to Nikko Asset Management of Japan.
- Acted for TAL Dai-ichi Life (formerly Tower Australia) on its $160 million acquisition of InsuranceLine.
- Assisted Macquarie Private Capital on its $116 million privatisation and sale by scheme of arrangement/trust scheme.
- Acted for Moelis Australia in its $29.5 million acquisition of real estate funds manager, Armada Funds Management.
Corporate & Commercial | 19 Aug 2020
Earn-outs have been hammered by the pandemic. Sellers have found themselves permanently and irrecoverably separated from growth benefits they agreed to share with buyers. What can be done to address the real potential for inequity that flows from this?