Since arriving in Australia, Albert has worked on various types of commercial disputes, for a range of clients including the Greater Building Society, Newcastle Airport, Port Stephens Council and various engineering companies based in Newcastle and the Hunter Valley. He continues to practice in the area of construction litigation, including adjudications of payment disputes under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 1999 (NSW) and disputes under the Home Building Act 1989 (NSW).
Albert qualified as a solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales in 2003 after training with an established commercial law firm in London. He remained at the firm, practising commercial litigation until he migrated to Australia in 2012 with his Australian wife and young family. During his time practising in London Albert’s focus was on construction-related litigation and professional negligence disputes.
Albert has extensive experience of participating in mediations and is a nationally accredited mediator.
- Advising a social housing provider in relation to a dispute with a State government department concerning the early termination of a 20 year PPP contract for the provision of social and affordable housing, including advice in relation to the recovery of tender costs.
- Acting for the UK subsidiary of a large US outdoor advertising company in relation to various disputes arising from a multi-million pound contract for the upgrade and maintenance of the advertising estate on the London Underground network.
- Advising a GRP manufacturer in relation to the interpretation of a subcontract for the supply of GRP components as part of a rolling stock PPP procurement project.
- Acting for a Local Council, in its capacity as developer, in relation to a planning and property dispute with a neighbouring land owner. The dispute was resolved by negotiation, involving an agreement to carry out work on the neighbouring land and the recording of financing arrangements in a works contribution deed.
- Advising TAFE NSW in relation to a contractual dispute with an overseas provider of vocational education, including advice regarding regulatory and compliance issues. The dispute was resolved by the re-negotiation and re-drafting of the existing contractual framework.
- Advising on Code of Conduct complaints in the local government and medical sectors.