Establishing and running a self-managed super fund (SMSF) comes with great advantages like more control and flexibility over your investments, future income streams, significant tax benefits as well as a vehicle for owning insurance policies. It also creates additional responsibilities like ensuring you are complying with reporting obligations and industry regulations, and potentially having to defend disputes.
We can help
Our SMSF specialists are experienced in all aspects of establishing and running SMSFs. We work with a broad range of clients from some of Australia’s largest family groups, high net worth individuals as well as small business owners, young families and people moving towards retirement. We regularly liaise with regulators on behalf of our clients.
We are part of a larger team of private client advisers with extensive experience across estate and succession planning and all aspects of personal wealth management. Our experience gives us practical insight into the issues, concerns and needs that arise at different stages of life.
We advise on an all aspects of establishing and managing SMSFs including:
- The establishment, operation, and structuring;
- Compliance and regulatory matters;
- Contribution and benefit payment strategies;
- Pension strategies, including the commencement and administration of pensions;
- Tax issues, including liaising with the Australian Taxation Office regarding disputed assessments;
- Enforcement action by the Australian Taxation Office, including penalties and disqualification of trustees;
- Investments, including the acquisition and disposal of property, structuring, borrowing, and regulatory issues;
- Matters arising at audit and the rectification of errors;
- Self managed superannuation fund disputes at the Supreme Court;
- AFCA disputes;
- Family law issues affecting the superannuation entitlements of members;
- Succession issues and planning for the disposition of death benefits;
- Death benefits; and
Superannuation| 21 Dec 2021
In this edition, we consider a case on misleading or deceptive marketing practices for a credit fund, the Government’s response to payments reviews and payment reforms, and much more.
Superannuation| 26 Nov 2021
In this edition, we consider ASIC’s new guidance on cryto-asset licensing and market regulation, new and updated APRA FAQs on a range of matters and a suite of ASX regulatory updates, and much more.
Superannuation| 18 Oct 2021
In this edition, we consider the new DDO interim instruments, ASIC’s updated anti-hawking regulatory guidance and updates in relation to the new breach reporting regime and internal dispute resolution requirements, and much more.
Superannuation| 23 Sep 2021
In this edition, we consider the final breach reporting regulatory guide, electronic execution and virtual meetings legislation, judicial commentary in relation to an AFS licensee’s supervisory arrangements, and much more.