Julian is an experienced senior litigator who has acted in high profile, complex and fiercely contested commercial litigation, public inquiries and investigations on behalf of companies, individuals (including members of parliament) and Government entities.
Julian’s commercial practice spans defence of contract, tort, intellectual property and consumer claims, and he has acted across a variety of industries from banking and property to insurance, franchising and energy. Julian has acted for high profile private clients in relation to confidential information, defamation, shareholder and family company disputes.
Julian has significant experience with regulatory investigations, including acting for companies, and individuals in investigations conducted by regulators (including ASIC and IBAC) and in public inquiries such as Royal Commissions.
Julian’s experience as a senior executive adviser in the Department of Premier and Cabinet means that he understands both the internal and external pressures on Government, and provides advice in that context.
Julian has acted for Dpartments and individuals in a number of high profile cases, including acting for the Victorian Attorney-General in the Supreme Court through the Court of Appeal and the High Court in the Myer blockade contempt litigation.
Julian has also acted for the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning in the Alpine Grazing litigation, a Government body in the Fiskville public inquiry and the Supreme Court of Victoria in a coronial investigation. Julian has also provided legal advice to Ministers, Cabinet and Cabinet committees on significant issues of public importance, including the establishment of the IBAC in Victoria, and the risks of PFOS and PFOA for contamination of land.
Julian is a former board member and volunteer coach of Helping Hoops, a not for profit organisation.
- Acting for international insurer in defence of $175 million claim for indemnity arising from construction of gas pipeline;
- Acting for numerous Victorian Government departments and individuals in high profile proceedings, including the Fiskville public inquiry, IBAC investigations and the Alpine Grazing litigation;
- Acting for national supplier group in claim for theft of confidential information and ‘hacking’ of internal database;
- Acting for the Victorian Attorney-General in successful contempt proceedings against the CFMEU through the Supreme Court, Court of Appeal and High Court leading to a record fine;
- Acting for a former Victorian Supreme Court Judge in defamation claim against national radio network;
- Acting for multi-national franchise company in dispute concerning disclosure under franchise regulations.