Julian is a commercial disputes and regulatory investigations lawyer. He is regularly briefed to act for, or against, government entities.
Julian’s specialist expertise includes the use and misuse of regulatory powers in investigations and enforcement proceedings by bodies such as ASIC, APRA, ATO, ASQA. He regularly advises clients in relation to their dealings with State and Federal governments and their agencies (and vice versa).
Julian is also an anti-corruption and integrity specialist, who worked with the Victorian Government and the Premier as part of a specialist team setting up the IBAC. He has acted for clients in IBAC investigations and provided seminars and training to Victorian and local government entities on the powers and functions of the IBAC.
Julian has acted for and advised clients in five Royal Commissions, at both State and Federal level. He acted for one of Australia’s best performing superannuation funds during investigations and appearances before the Financial Services Royal Commission and subsequent regulatory investigations.
Julian has significant experience in Government and administrative law, and has recently acted for a Victorian integrity body in sensitive judicial review proceedings in the Supreme Court of Victoria. Julian has acted for Departments and individuals in a number of high profile cases, including parliamentary inquiries. He also regularly receives instructions to act for registered training organizations in administrative law proceedings.
Julian also assists clients with general commercial and product liability litigation. His clients include government entities, large public and private companies, small-to-medium enterprises and high-net-worth individuals.
- Acting for and advising a high-profile security contractor in an appearance before the COVID-19 Hotel Quarantine Board of Inquiry, including responding to notices to produce and preparing a witness statement and submissions.
- Acting for and advising the Parliament of Victoria on probity, governance and anti-corruption and integrity issues.
- Acting for and advising the disciplinary tribunal of a professional services membership body in disciplinary matters.
- Acting for one of Australia’s best-performing industry super funds in an appearance before the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry, including responding to notices to produce and preparing witness statements and submissions.
- Acting for a Victorian integrity body in sensitive judicial review proceedings in the Supreme Court of Victoria, including advising on closed court orders and suppression orders under the Open Courts Act 2013 (Vic).
- Acting for and advising clients in managing their responses to various significant regulatory investigations by ASIC and APRA and anti-corruption bodies including the IBAC and the Australian Federal Police.
- Acting for numerous Victorian Government departments and individuals in high profile proceedings, including advising the CFA and Victorian Government in relation to a parliamentary inquiry into product liability claims arising from the contamination of land at the Fiskville Training College with PFAS.
- Acting for registered education and training organizations in administrative review proceedings in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.
Awards and recognition
Doyle's Guide to the Australian Legal Profession 2023Administrative & Public Law (Victoria)
Doyle's Guide to the Australian Legal Profession 2020Rising Stars: Litigation, Dispute Resolution & Insolvency (Australia)
Environmental, Social and Governance | 20 Nov 2023
We highlight the key implications financial market participants should be aware of.