Employees are more mobile than ever before. Companies moving employees in and out of Australia are likely to have many questions about complying with local laws, particularly around work visas, employment contracts and tax requirements.
Our specialist team has experts in immigration and tax advisory services who can advise on all global mobility needs – for large multinationals through to small corporations.
We make it easy to grow, retain people, move people around the world and comply with Australian laws. We advise on issues including:
- immigration (advising and preparing work visas);
- employment documentation (preparing employment contracts) and ongoing employment and business migration advice;
- tax (income tax, FBT, GST, PAYG, employment and FITO);
- superannuation compliance and planning; and
- employee tax affairs.
- If employees are sent to Australia, what visas do they need?
- If an employee has a business tourist visa, can they work in Australia?
- Are there differences between temporary and permanent visas?
- Is there a minimum rate an employee needs to be paid in Australia?
- What is the best way to package benefits for employees who are coming to work in Australia?
- If companies provide housing, car, cell phone, computer and other benefits to an employee relocating to Australia – will this result in a Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT) liability for the company?
- How do companies comply with income tax, Goods and Services Tax (GST) and state-based taxes?
- Are companies protected by double taxation agreements (DTAs) with Australia?
- Will an employee be able to claim a Foreign Income Tax Offset (FITO)?
- Do companies have obligations to provide a pension or ‘superannuation’ for an employee in Australia?
- Will an employee have their own self-managed superannuation fund? Or will they use an industry superannuation fund?
- Will an employee need assistance dealing with their tax planning and compliance with local/foreign income tax obligations?
- Is an employee moving with their family and will they have time to address their own affairs relating to their global assets?
- Will an employee be eligible for Medicare?
- Companies planning on moving employees in and out of Australia need to understand these issues if they wanting to provide an attractive salary package to optimise their employees’ performance and comply with Australian laws.
Global Mobility Services| 30 Jun 2020
As businesses and state borders open up, there is one key issue we are coming across. When will international borders open up? This article discusses the current restrictions and circumstances when a person can travel, despite the general ban.