With close to 15 years' of experience, William helps clients to work through their succession planning goals and issues. He is driven to achieve realistic outcomes for his clients in their personal and business succession planning. This can involve working through difficult and sensitive considerations, needing a personal touch and some practical suggestions. William leads Hall & Wilcox’s national Private Client practice.
William is widely regarded as a leading practitioner in the area of succession planning, trusts, estates and estate litigation. William prides himself on giving practical advice and understanding the client's needs and business intimately to give them the best results.
He has a broad range of clients, from those with young families to some of Australia’s largest family groups, as well as business owners and people moving towards retirement. This has provided William with practical insight into many issues, concerns and needs that arise at different stages of life.
William is listed as a leading Wills, Estates and Succession Planning Lawyer and a recommended Wills & Estates Litigation Lawyer in Victoria in Doyle's Guide to the Australian Legal Profession. He regularly publishes articles and presents for both the firm and professional bodies including Leo Cussen, The Tax Institute and Television Education Network, and speaks on radio station 3AW.
- Assisting clients with the restructuring of assets to minimise assets exposed to a potential Will dispute following death.
- Acting for executors in defending Will disputes, and also beneficiaries and claimants in Will disputes.
- Providing advice regarding estate planning arrangements including Wills and testamentary trusts, superannuation and life insurance, powers of attorney.
- Acting for executors and beneficiaries in estate disputes including around delays, improper executor actions and executor commission.
- Advising clients on intergenerational wealth transfer, including family agreements and constitutions.
Awards and recognition
Doyle's Guide to the Australian Legal Profession 2020Wills & Estates Litigation Lawyers (Victoria); Wills, Estates & Succession Planning Lawyers (Victoria)
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
Private Clients | 7 Dec 2020
Changes to Queensland’s guardianship laws are now in force. The amendments, which came into effect on 30 November 2020, relate to the Guardianship and Other Legislation Amendment Act 2019 (Qld).