'Private client expert Tom McMahon is recommended in dispute resolution.' - The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019
Tom has extensive experience in acting for high net wealth families, private and public corporations and corporate trustees. He heads up the firm’s Private Client Dispute Resolution offering which has a focus on shareholder, joint venture, partnership, trust, estate and governance disputes.
Tom has extensive experience in acting in tax, regulatory, financial services, “white collar” malfeasance and contractual disputes and provides his clients with commercial, practical and timely advice with a view to resolving disputes efficiently. He is an assertive and pro-active advocate for his clients’ interests.
Tom also has considerable experience in the not-for-profit sector, including as a board member and trustee.
- A prominent Australian business identity in Supreme and Federal Court property, Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) and IP related proceedings and generally in relation to numerous complex disputes regarding ownership and control of a myriad of group companies.
- A property developer in Supreme Court proceedings in relation to a partnership dispute involving allegations of fraud and involving the appointment of receivers.
- Financial services institutions in relation to various investor claims (including one matter involving complaints made by more than 25 investors regarding various financial products).
- A majority shareholder in a shareholders’ dispute regarding a prominent Melbourne real estate business (including advising in relation to, and documenting, that dispute’s ultimate resolution by means of a demerger).
- An institutional trustee in respect of five contemporaneous Supreme Court proceedings involving substantial and structurally complex testamentary trusts.
- A prominent Australian business identity in a Supreme Court proceeding regarding a substantial capital gains assessment.
- A related group of 24 taxpayers in a substantial and complex Supreme Court payroll tax appeal.
- A taxpayer in an income tax residency and private binding ruling dispute with the ATO.
- An aircraft owner in a Supreme Court proceeding brought against an international aircraft manufacturer alleging defects in an aircraft.
Private Client Dispute Resolution | 19 Aug 2016
The Victorian Supreme Court decision in Brimelow v Alampi  VSC 135 (Brimelow) marks the first case to consider recent law reforms regarding disputed estates.