Simon is a skilled lawyer with broad experience across the insurance and commercial litigation sectors. Simon is a specialist in professional indemnity matters.
In addition to professional indemnity matters, Simon has experience in construction, recovery, liability and statutory insurance matters. Simon has particular expertise advising in relation to complex indemnity issues arising under professional indemnity and liability policies. Simon also has experience in the maritime/seafarers sector.
Simon also has wide-ranging expertise in relation to commercial disputes, acting for clients in a wide variety of sectors, including ASX listed companies. Simon has extensive experience in commercial litigation and in particular, contractual disputes.
Simon prides himself on providing clear and coherent advice to his clients. Simon also seeks to gain detailed understanding of complex legal issues notwithstanding dealing with novel issues on a regular basis.
- Acting on behalf of an insurer seeking damages arising from a construction of a neighbouring property. Simon assisted with the proceedings against the entities responsible for the works. The matter required that significant expert evidence be obtained.
- Advising on claims arising from negligence against a provider of the drawings for the pre-cast panels.
- Acting on behalf of insurer of freight company involved in discharge of diesel. Simon was required to consider a variety of complex environmental and contractual issues.
- Advising regarding multiple claims arising out of fraudulent conduct of director of an insured. Simon was required to manage a significant portfolio of claims against the insured and determine indemnity, liability and quantum for all claims.
- Assisting with commercial resolution of defamation claims against a strata company in relation to publication of allegedly defamatory items on an AGM agenda.
- Defending claims against accountants arising from allegedly negligent advice regarding operation of research and development write-off provisions of Income Tax Assessment Act 1997 (Cth).
- Defending claims by a liquidator against former accountants in relation to alleged insolvent trading.
- Defending claims of farming trust against accountants relating to provision of advice concerning trust arrangements and distribution.
- Defending claims against insured arising from employee of insured having illegally accessed and deleted data of clients.
- Law Society of WA
Insurance | 6 Apr 2023
The Full Court of the Federal Court has found that a commercial opportunity will fall within the meaning of ‘personal profit or advantage’ in an unfair advantage exclusion contained in a directors and officers liability insurance policy.