Sharmane has worked exclusively in insurance litigation since 2006, specialising in the defence, management and settlement of workers’ compensation and general liability claims. Sharmane acts for and advises insurers, employers and self-insurers and regularly appears in the District Court and at WorkCover WA.
She has acted for large commercial clients and insurers, including but not limited to Allianz Australia Insurance Limited, ICWA, RAC Insurance, Zurich Insurance, QBE, IAG, Suncorp and Proclaim.
She works closely with her clients to ensure claims are managed proactively with a view to achieving early resolution and a reduction in claim spend. She has successfully pursued and defended a range of matters.
Sharmane has a particular interest in high value disputes and stress claims.
- Acted as junior counsel in relation to a multimillion dollar claim relating to the contamination of a commercial site where liability and quantum were in dispute and issues of procedural fairness were dealt with in the Supreme Court of Western Australia.
- Conducting conciliation conferences and arbitrations at WorkCover WA.
- Managing claims in the Supreme Court of Western Australia.
- Managing claims in the District Court of Western Australia.
- Providing advice in respect of claims as a consequence of a breach of the Occupiers’ Liability Act.
- Law Society of Western Australia
- Australian Insurance Law Association