Seun works across the NSW and ACT jurisdictions and is a defendant insurance litigator and health law specialist. Seun knows the legislative framework and policies of the health system in NSW and has acted for public and private hospitals, employed doctors and nurses and Visiting Medical Officers in a range of medical and surgical practice areas.
Seun has expertise in coronial investigations from deaths in custody and civil claims arising from prison incidents. She understands the complexities of medical treatment delivered in correctional facilities, and the roles and responsibilities of stakeholders including private prison operators, health service providers, Corrective Services NSW and the Justice Health and Forensic Mental Health Network.
In addition to her personal injury and coronial practice, Seun has assisted doctors and nurses during regulatory investigations led by the Health Care Complaints Commission and other bodies.
Prior to transitioning into private practice, Seun spent almost a decade working for the NSW Government Department of Ageing, Disability and Home Care (which is now known as the NSW Department of Communities and Justice). She provided legal and policy advice to Government and NGO stakeholders around ageing, disability, National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), and home care issues, and represented agencies in coronial inquests.
Seun also acts for government departments. Her experience includes a lengthy secondment to the Commonwealth Department of Health where, amongst other matters, she provided advice about obligations arising under the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988 and Aged Care Act 1997.
Since joining Hall & Wilcox, Seun routinely acts for insurers in multiple party construction injury claims. She enjoys the complex liability and quantum investigations these matters entails and also provides advice around dual insurance and coverage disputes.
In previous matters, Seun has appeared as an advocate for her clients (without counsel) in the ACT Supreme Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court of NSW, and the NSW State Coroner’s Court.
Seun provides her clients with proactive advice and support. Her aim is to expeditiously resolve meritorious claims on favourable terms to the insurer and insured, and robustly investigate and defend unfounded and opportunistic claims.
Recent examples of Seun’s advocacy experience, without counsel, include:
- Appeared for a public hospital in a medical negligence claim commenced in the Supreme Court of NSW by the partner of a deceased patient (proceedings dismissed with costs).
- Acted for an educational institute in the coronial inquest into the suicide of a teenage student (Inquest into the death of DT 13 October 2017).
- Appeared for a NSW Local Health District in Court of Appeal proceedings involving a litigant in person (Hassan v Sydney Local Health District  NSWCA 97).
- Inquest into the death of SZ (2022).
- Inquest into the death of CJ (2023).
- Zubary v SRT Formwork Pty Ltd  ACTSC 152.
- Inquest into the death of GS (2023).
- Law Society of NSW, Medico-Legal Society of NSW