Sean has practised in personal injuries litigation since 1992, acting on behalf of defendant insurers and self insured across the CTP, workers compensation and public liability regimes. This has included providing advices on the interpretation of legislation and policy submissions on the strategic operation of schemes.
Sean has also practised in employment law since 1992, acting on behalf of employers and employer organisations in industrial relations, employment litigation and occupational health & safety. This work has included enforcing restraints of trade and confidentiality over corporate intellectual property, investigating complaints of sexual harassment against management, advising on executive contracts, advising boards on liability for workplace health and safety prosecutions, and advising on redundancies as part of corporate restructures.
His insurance practice also includes employment practice liability insurance litigation which covers such diverse claims as workplace bullying, discrimination and sexual harassment claims, unfair dismissal and adverse action applications, and defending workplace health and safety prosecutions. Sean also advises employer on reviewing decisions in workers compensation claims.
Sean has been listed in The Best Lawyers in Australia in insurance law and labour and employment law every year since 2013; this year adding occupational health and safety law. He is also listed as a leading Defendant Workplace Accident Insurance & WorkCover lawyer in Queensland in Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession.
- Acting on behalf of WorkCover Queensland and self-insured employers (Queensland Rail and Woolworths) in defending common law claims under the Workers Compensation and Rehabilitation Act.
- Acting on behalf of insurers and self insured corporations in public liability claims. This includes advising on the enforcement of contractual indemnities against WorkCover Queensland.
- Acting on behalf of CTP insurers, particularly the Nominal Defendant Queensland from 1993 to 2013, in respect of personal injuries claims from motor vehicle accidents, and recovery against uninsured drivers.
- Advising employers in respect of policies and lines of reporting to minimize exposure to occupational health & safety prosecutions, particularly liability for officers. This includes reviewing operations to advise on areas which may require further risk assessments.
- Conducting investigations into workplace accidents, including fatalities and near misses. This includes conducting pre-emptive investigations on an urgent basis immediately after a major accident to gather evidence and identify relevant witnesses in anticipation of the official investigation by the occupational health & safety inspectors.
- Acting on behalf of insurers in respect of employment practice liability claims, including advising on the extent of indemnity for acts on the margin of employment (such as sexual harassment and bullying), and defending litigation under such claims in the Fair Work Commission, Federal Court, Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal and civil courts.
- Acting on behalf of employers in employment litigation including enforcement of restraints of trade and confidentiality, unfair dismissal and common law termination claims, and anti-discrimination and sexual harassment claims.