Philip is an experienced corporate insurance and financial services lawyer.
Philip helps clients do business by advising them on commercial solutions to insurance issues that are effective, clear and easy to understand.
He acts for a range of clients including general and life insurers, reinsurers, insurance intermediaries and financial institutions as well as general corporate and government clients.
Prior to joining Hall & Wilcox, Philip gained experience in top tier private practice in Australia (Herbert Smith Freehills, Ashurst and Allens) and began his career in the London insurance market.
Philip’s experience includes advising on:
- Financial services regulation, licensing and prudential compliance matters for general and life insurance and reinsurance. This includes all of the legislative reforms affecting the insurance sector introduced in 2021.
- Distribution arrangements and distribution model management for carriers and distributors.
- Scheme transfers of life and general insurance business.
- Acquisitions and divestments of insurance and financial advice businesses.
- New and amending product design for life and general insurance on an individual and group basis.
- Liaising with the conduct and prudential regulators, ASIC and APRA, in relation to regulatory approval and relief applications, breach reporting, investigation, enforcement and remediation work.
- Reinsurance advice and policy drafting, including benchmarking and value-in-force quota share arrangements.
- Insurance benchmarking and placement advice for commercial insureds.