Peter is the section leader of the firm's Tax team. Peter has joined Hall & Wilcox in 2016 after nearly 30 years with KPMG where he was a Senior Tax Partner.
Peter specialises in corporate tax issues impacting listed and privately owned corporate groups and high net wealth individuals, and managing tax disputes.
His specific areas of specialisation include corporate group reorganisations, mergers and acquisition, including domestic, inbound and outbound investment, thin capitalisation and debt / equity, capital / revenue characterisation, tax consolidation, repatriation of profits, trusts, application of the general anti-avoidance rules (GAAR), and tax risk management and dispute resolution.
His clients include a range of corporates, professional firms, high net worth individuals and family groups and trusts.
Peter has been recognised in The Best Lawyers in Australia in Tax Law every year since 2013. He is also listed as a recommended tax lawyer in Australia and a leading tax lawyer in Victoria in Doyle's Guide to the Australian Legal Profession.
He is a Life Member (CTA) of The Tax Institute, Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia and New Zealand and Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
Peter was previously a Senior Partner at KPMG and KPMG Legal and is currently a member of the ATO General Anti Avoidance Rule (GAAR) Panel and a past President of the Tax Institute.
- Structuring corporate groups comprising international and domestic interests to realise tax efficiencies both domestically and internationally.
- Advising on capital structures, including debt and equity, to ensure commercial and tax efficiency in a domestic and international context.
- Advising of restructuring existing corporate groups to achieve operational and tax efficiencies.
- Advising on sale and purchase agreements.
- Advising on the tax implications associate with acquiring and disposing of interests in Australian real property.