Peter is a senior finance, corporate and regulatory lawyer with over 30 years’ experience. He has a broad range of experience advising on general commercial matters, finance transactions, asset and share acquisitions and disposals, equity capital markets matters and other matters, including those relating to governance, anti-money laundering and privacy.
Peter was a partner in the Corporate and Finance Departments at a top-tier law firm for many years and co-led the Financial Regulation and Compliance Practice Group.
In addition to his significant private practice experience, Peter was the General Counsel and Company Secretary of Tassal Group Limited and, most recently, Deputy General Counsel of the Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Advised a number of community housing providers on their financings with National Housing Finance and Investment Corporation, including Housing First and Housing Plus.
- Advised Home Owners Partnering Equity (HOPE), a not-for-profit group, on an innovative shared equity housing arrangement that aims to help essential workers own a home closer to work.
- Sale of the Reserve Bank of Australia’s half share in Securency International Pty Ltd, including long-term agreements with the purchaser.
- Policies and advice relating to the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013, including the corresponding amendments to the Reserve Bank Act 1959.
- Policies and advice relating to the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006.
- Policies and advice relating to the Commonwealth Procurement Rules, Autonomous Sanctions Act 2011 (Cth), Modern Slavery Act 2018 (Cth) and the Government Procurement (Judicial Review) Act 2018.
- Acted on significant transactions for Coates Hire Limited, including its initial public offering (acting for the vendor), several capital raisings and numerous asset acquisitions until its acquisition by private equity in 2008.
- Acted for Citigroup in its acquisition of credit card portfolio of Suncorp-Metway Limited ($230 million transaction value, completed in 2008) and Citigroup’s two subsequent similar transactions.
- Acted for AB Electrolux in its acquisition of the whitegoods assets of Email Limited ($450 million transaction value, completed in 2001).
- Acted for St.George Bank Limited on numerous matters, including various capital raisings.
- Fellow, Governance Institute of Australia
Banking & Finance | 24 Oct 2023
The NSW Supreme Court has found that Beyond Bank Australia wrongfully de-banked Human Appeal International Australia when is unilaterally closed Human Appeal’s banking facilities without a valid reason.