Nick has the unique background of having represented both insurers and individuals in catastrophic injury claims in a public liability setting. This has assisted him in understanding the factors that motivate insurers and claimants, leading to the early and pragmatic resolution of highly contentious, emotive and complicated claims.
He has advised across a multitude of industries including hospitality and security, sport and recreation, construction, real estate, medical, transport, logistics and manufacturing.
He has also managed the litigation of many Compulsory Third Party, medical negligence and product liability matters.
Nick is known for his sensible and down-to-earth approach to matters of all complexities. But where commercial resolutions are incapable of being achieved, his clients appreciate his unwavering Courtroom advocacy and his commitment to achieving outstanding judgments.
Nick continues to maintain a strong presence in community activities through his local football club and through fundraising initiatives with the Karen Fitzgerald Fund.
- Appearing regularly in the Supreme Court, District Court and Magistrates Court of South Australia and the Supreme Court of the Northern Territory.
- Defending personal injury and property damage public liability claims for large domestic and international insurers to the point of settlement and judgment.
- Defending catastrophic claims involving complex causation evidence where injuries have arisen from mould and chemical exposure.
- Acting on behalf of insurers in large loss recoveries involving fire and water damage, and recoveries in a construction setting.
- Providing indemnity advice in injury, property and advertising claims.
- Acting in medical negligence claims requiring the engagement of various causation experts.
- Managing and supervising a team of lawyers and paralegals in the conduct of a high-volume property recoveries practice in South Australia and appearing as Counsel at trial in property damage matters.
- Defending claims on behalf of sporting organisations and bodies regarding voluntary assumption of risk and waiver defences.
- Assisting international P&I Insurers and local liability insurers with marine incidents and liability claims arising in South Australian waters including incident response and attending vessels to collect evidence.
- Acting for a South Australian insurer in a recovery action relating to a multi-fatality motor vehicle accident.
- Advising self-insurers of their obligations and entitlements under the Return to Work Act 2014 (SA) and prosecuting claims on their behalf.
- Representing elite athletes and sporting organisations in sporting tribunal matters and in litigious settings.
- Law Society of South Australia
Insurance | 2 Nov 2023
In the High Court decision GLJ v Trustees of the Roman Catholic Church for the Diocese of Lismore, circumstantial evidence is still evidence in the ‘new normative structure’ created by section 6A of the Limitation Act.