Lauren is an experienced lawyer and commercial disputes specialist with experience practising in Victoria and Western Australia. She specialises in commercial litigation, dispute resolution, alternative dispute resolution, public law and intellectual property disputes.
Lauren has acted in high profile, complex and contested commercial litigation in both Victoria and Western Australia, as well as the Federal Court of Australia. She has acted for numerous public sector clients including Department of Transport, Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, Bass Coast Shire Council and V/Line, as well as international corporate clients such as Cargill and Santam (South Africa’s largest insurer).
Lauren prides herself on having a deep understanding of her client’s legal, financial and commercial needs, and works collaboratively with her team, counsel and with clients to provide efficient and strategic advice, and success for the client. She specialises in resolving disputes and constantly strives to support her client’s journey through a dispute.
- Representing Head, Transport for Victoria in two cases in the Supreme Court of Victoria concerning whether compensation paid under predecessor legislation may be taken into account under the current legislative regime. The matters are ongoing, concern approximately $50 million and will make law with State-wide implications.
- Acting for one of America’s largest private companies in contested prliminary discovery applications in the Federal Court proceedings in New South Wales, in relation to breach of a partnership and supply agreement. The matter settled on favourable terms for our client.
- Securing a settlement on extremely favourable terms for a major public authority in relation to a contractual dispute in the Supreme Court of Victoria. The dispute related to the quality of services performed by a contractor, and raised complex legal issues, the implications from which there could have been significant ramifications, financial and otherwise.
- Defending a contractual dispute in the Supreme Court of Victoria with respect to a property development worth $1 billion.
- Defending a Victorian shire council in the Supreme Court of Victoria in relation to disputed claims surrounding a 10 year services contract for waste management worth approximately $10 million. The litigated dispute was managed so that the client could continue its day to day involvement in the contract whilst also defending Supreme Court litigation. This dispute settled and the contract was successfully terminated, ensuring that the client was able to co-ordinate a transition plan regarding this sensitive environmental asset.
- Defending a $100 million claim concerning a highly technical method of welding a major gas pipeline and associated liability for breach of contract, which settled on favourable terms for our client.
- Investigating on behalf of a department allegations about fraud on an incentives scheme, providing a report about the conduct, and making recommendations about changes to the scheme going forward, which were adopted.
- Acting for a publicly listed Australian mining company in an $80 million international arbitration against a Chinese state owned entity for breach of a mining tenement sale agreement, which settled on extremely favourable terms for our client.
- Advising on domestic and international intellectual property matters, including representing a world leading industrial packaging manufacturer in concurrent Federal Court proceedings against Australian manufacturers for patent and trade mark infringement and misleading and deceptive conduct. Most recently, settling a trademark infringement matter on favourable terms, and defending the client against a claim for trademark infringement concerning use of its trading name and logo.