Jennifer has significant experience in general insurance litigation. Her experience includes public and product liability, property damage and compulsory third party insurance. She has a particular passion for personal injury matters.
Jennifer has defended dozens of public liability cases issued in the County Court and Supreme Court of Victoria and has a deep understanding of the Wrongs Act and common law damages assessments.
Jennifer is a conscientious practitioner and is highly regarded for her thorough analysis of legal issues and for the quality of her advice. She responds to clients’ needs by providing prompt and commercial advice as well as regular updates about the progress of claims. She understands the challenges faced by liability insurers and is adept at setting accurate claim reserves from the outset of a matter. Jennifer is proactive and committed to the early resolution of claims where appropriate and finds creative solutions to ensure positive outcomes. She is an accomplished advocate who regularly represents her clients at mediation.
- Assessment of liability and damages in a matter where the plaintiff sustained serious personal injuries when a firearm discharged on an insured farm.
- Defending a public liability claim against the developers of an industrial estate. The plaintiff alleged that he was seriously injured when his truck rolled over after the insured’s newly built road collapsed.
- Defending a public liability claim against one of Australia’s leading retailers for injuries allegedly sustained by a customer who fell in a shop.
- Instructing Counsel at the trial of a compulsory third party claim where the plaintiff sustained an acquired brain injury for which he sought damages in excess of $6m.
- Defending a claim against an occupier in which the claimant alleged that he sustained physical and psychiatric injuries as a result of being attacked by two dogs.
- Defending security companies and licensed occupiers against allegations of assault causing personal injuries.
- Defending a claim against a builder for serious injuries allegedly sustained by a worker when he fell from a scaffold.
- Providing advice in relation to a professional indemnity claim against a physiotherapist who allegedly exacerbated a claimant’s spinal injury by providing inappropriate treatment.
- Defending a court proceeding against an insured for property damage which arose when an outdoor advertising sign was removed with a crane that had insufficient loading.
- Successful large loss recovery from a road authority in respect of property damage which was caused by a bus rolling over.
- Defending a proceeding against the supplier of a vehicle which spontaneously combusted destroying the plaintiffs’ vehicle and premises.
- Successful large loss recovery from a Victorian Water Authority in respect of extensive damage to property and contents, which resulted from the insured’s house being inundated with sewage.