James has a broad range of both corporate and general commercial experience, particularly in the areas of equity capital markets, corporate advice, and public and private M&A.
In addition to his significant private practice experience, James spent two years as a Senior Attorney for The Walt Disney Company and was based in Tokyo.
James has acted for a diverse range of clients including publicly listed companies, private companies and multinational organisations (including Disney during his time in-house). In particular, he has extensive corporate and transactional experience in the funds management and REIT sectors.
James is recommended in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018 in corporate and M&A, and is a Recommended Corporate & Commercial Lawyer (SME & Mid-Market Matters) in Victoria, in Doyle's Guide to the Australian Legal Profession 2018.
- Acting for Maggie Beer Holdings (ASX: MBH) on its $50m acquisition of e-commerce company Hampers & Gifts Australia and the associated placement and underwritten accelerated non-renounceable entitlement offer to raise $30m.
- Acting for Calliden Group Limited in the scheme of arrangement with Steadfast Group Limited and Munich Re.
- Acting for APN Property Group Limited in its initial public offer. James has also acted for the APN Property Group in numerous other substantial transactions.
- Acting for Note Printing Australia Limited in a number of local and international supply arrangements.
- Acting for the owners of Octopus Media in their sale to QMS Media Limited.
- Acting for Liberty Oil and associated entities on various supply arrangements and other transactions.
- Acting for the responsible entity of the ASX-listed BlackWall Property Fund on its renounceable rights issue.
- Acting for Admiralty Resources NL on the sale of part of its Chilean iron ore business.
- Acting for the Bentleigh Club and its directors in the Club’s merger with the Melbourne Football Club.
- Acting for APN Funds Management Ltd in the ASX listing of the APN/UKA European Retail Trust and other transactions in relation to the Trust (including two non-renounceable rights offers).
- Acting for the Colorado management team in connection with their co-investment (with a private equity fund managed by Affinity Equity Partners) in the Colorado group of companies.
- Acting for the purchaser of a significant tissue manufacturing business in Australia.
Financial Services | 13 Aug 2021
Certainty (temporarily) provided on electronic execution and virtual meetings with the passing of the TLA1 Bill
The uncertainty surrounding electronic execution and virtual meetings will be temporarily lifted with the recent passing of the Treasury Laws Amendment (2021 Measures No. 1) Bill 2021 by both Houses.