James has a broad range of both corporate and general commercial experience, particularly in the areas of equity capital markets, corporate advice, and public and private M&A.
In addition to his significant private practice experience, James spent two years as a Senior Attorney for The Walt Disney Company and was based in Tokyo.
James has acted for a diverse range of clients including publicly listed companies, private companies and multinational organisations (including Disney during his time in-house). In particular, he has extensive corporate and transactional experience in the funds management and REIT sectors.
James is recommended in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018 in corporate and M&A, and is a Recommended Corporate & Commercial Lawyer (SME & Mid-Market Matters) in Victoria, in Doyle's Guide to the Australian Legal Profession 2018.
- Acting for Calliden Group Limited in the scheme of arrangement with Steadfast Group Limited and Munich Re.
- Acting for APN Property Group Limited in its initial public offer. James has also acted for the APN Property Group in numerous other substantial transactions.
- Acting for Note Printing Australia Limited in a number of local and international supply arrangements.
- Acting for the owners of Octopus Media in their sale to QMS Media Limited.
- Acting for Liberty Oil and associated entities on various supply arrangements and other transactions.
- Acting for the responsible entity of the ASX-listed BlackWall Property Fund on its renounceable rights issue.
- Acting for Admiralty Resources NL on the sale of part of its Chilean iron ore business.
- Acting for the Bentleigh Club and its directors in the Club’s merger with the Melbourne Football Club.
- Acting for APN Funds Management Ltd in the ASX listing of the APN/UKA European Retail Trust and other transactions in relation to the Trust (including two non-renounceable rights offers).
- Acting for the Colorado management team in connection with their co-investment (with a private equity fund managed by Affinity Equity Partners) in the Colorado group of companies.
- Acting for the purchaser of a significant tissue manufacturing business in Australia.
Corporate & Commercial | 20 Oct 2020
Power, corruption and lies: a new order for the corporate criminal responsibility regime in Australia?
The Australian Law Reform Commission’s new Corporate Crime Report is a call to action for Australian businesses: it’s not enough to have policies in place to prevent corporate misconduct if they do not create a culture of compliance.