Ed’s practice covers private mergers & acquisitions, family business and private equity. Ed also provides his clients with advice with mergers and acquisitions – including acting for buyers or sellers in a wide range of share sales, business sales and asset sales, due diligence, family business, private equity, venture capital transactions, capital raising and corporate and commercial agreements.
Ed is a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, the Law Institute of Victoria and its Commercial Law and Young Lawyers sections. He is a member of Family Business Australia (FBA) and served four years on the Victorian Committee and three years as Chairman of the FBA advisor executive committee. Ed has been a trustee of the Committee for Economic Development of Australia. Ed is a non-executive director in a family owned manufacturing company and has served on the advisory committee for a family owned national retail chain.
Ed is a recommended private equity and capital markets lawyer in Victoria in Doyle’s Guide to the Australia Legal Profession.
- Acting for the retiring owner of a National automotive retail business in the sale of the entire business to private equity.
- Advising in the business succession from father to son for a very large and prominent family owned construction Company.
- Acting for a family owned manufacturing company in the business succession from the founders to two uncles to 4 cousins; acting in the business succession from the 4 cousins to the 2 continuing cousins 3 years later.
- Acting for a US public company still run by the founding family in the local acquisition of a licensee to protect its Australian retail operations.
- Acting on three separate transactions for an internationally known family business based in Scotland in the local acquisition of Australian manufacturing facilities.
- Acting on three separate acquisitions for a New Zealand based family owned conglomerate involved in the transport and distribution of fuel and lubricants.
- Acting for management in a secondary buyout of a well-known comfort footwear business.
- Acting for large local multi-generational family businesses in the acquisition of competitors as part of their growth strategy.
- Acting for a large private bus operator in 6 separate acquisitions over 6 years.
- Acting for a listed public company based in Sweden in the acquisition of a local family owned and operated business with unique intellectual property.
- Acting for owners selling multi-generational family businesses to fund retirement or for strategic reasons.
- Acting for management groups in private equity backed acquisitions of private and family businesses.
- Acting for the owner of a successful medical practice selling into an industry wide roll-up prior to listing.
- Acting for investors or investees in venture capital transactions.
- Acting for an unlisted Australian public company seeking admission to the AIM market in London.
- Providing listing rule advice to a high profile Australian listed public company.
- Acting for Cor Cordis (as administrators) in protracted negotiations and sale of a kitchen bench manufacturer business including all assets, plant and equipment and providing redundancy and entitlements advice.
- Advising and implementing a restructure of an automotive parts business to simplify their existing group structure.
- Advising Baxters Food Group, a Scottish food manufacturing company on a number of acquisitions of similar Australian food manufacturers and associated brands.
- Advising on the sale of CDC Plumbing business to Hastie Group on 2007, and subsequent buy back by the original owners in 2012.
- Advising the owners of Burson Automotive on the sale of the business to Quadrant Private Equity.
- Acting for a private developer in purchasing a hotel from receivers.