Ed’s practice covers private mergers and acquisitions, family business and private equity. Ed also provides his clients with advice with mergers and acquisitions - including acting for buyers or sellers in a wide range of share sales, business sales and asset sales, due diligence, family business, private equity, venture capital transactions, capital raising and corporate and commercial agreements.
Ed is a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, the Law Institute of Victoria and its Commercial Law and Young Lawyers sections. He is a member of Family Business Australia (FBA) and served four years on the Victorian Committee and three years as Chairman of the FBA advisor executive committee. Ed has been a trustee of the Committee for Economic Development of Australia. Ed is a non-executive director in a family-owned manufacturing company and has served on the advisory committee for a family-owned national retail chain.
Ed is a recommended private equity and capital markets lawyer in Victoria in Doyle's Guide to the Australia Legal Profession and has been recognised in The Best Lawyers in Australia in Commercial Law and Corporate Law for 2020.
- Acting for the retiring owner of a National automotive retail business in the sale of the entire business to private equity.
- Advising in the business succession from father to son for a very large and prominent family owned construction Company.
- Acting for a family owned manufacturing company in the business succession from the founders to two uncles to 4 cousins; acting in the business succession from the 4 cousins to the 2 continuing cousins 3 years later.
- Acting for a US public company still run by the founding family in the local acquisition of a licensee to protect its Australian retail operations.
- Acting on three separate transactions for an internationally known family business based in Scotland in the local acquisition of Australian manufacturing facilities.
- Acting on three separate acquisitions for a New Zealand based family owned conglomerate involved in the transport and distribution of fuel and lubricants.
- Acting for management in a secondary buyout of a well-known comfort footwear business.
- Acting for large local multi-generational family businesses in the acquisition of competitors as part of their growth strategy.
- Acting for a large private bus operator in 6 separate acquisitions over 6 years.
- Acting for a listed public company based in Sweden in the acquisition of a local family owned and operated business with unique intellectual property.
- Acting for owners selling multi-generational family businesses to fund retirement or for strategic reasons.
- Acting for management groups in private equity backed acquisitions of private and family businesses.
- Acting for the owner of a successful medical practice selling into an industry wide roll-up prior to listing.
- Acting for investors or investees in venture capital transactions.
- Acting for an unlisted Australian public company seeking admission to the AIM market in London.
- Providing listing rule advice to a high profile Australian listed public company.
- Acting for Cor Cordis (as administrators) in protracted negotiations and sale of a kitchen bench manufacturer business including all assets, plant and equipment and providing redundancy and entitlements advice.
- Advising and implementing a restructure of an automotive parts business to simplify their existing group structure.
- Advising Baxters Food Group, a Scottish food manufacturing company on a number of acquisitions of similar Australian food manufacturers and associated brands.
- Advising on the sale of CDC Plumbing business to Hastie Group on 2007, and subsequent buy back by the original owners in 2012.
- Advising the owners of Burson Automotive on the sale of the business to Quadrant Private Equity.
- Acting for a private developer in purchasing a hotel from receivers.