Deborah has extensive experience across a broad range of commercial transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, equity capital markets and other corporate transactions, equity investments, shareholders and joint venture arrangements, management equity arrangements, ASX listed company advice, and a wide variety of commercial arrangements.
Deborah’s major clients span a range of industries, with particular focus on the technology and biotech industries, and on agribusiness, and vary in size from start-ups to Australian industry leaders.
Deborah began her legal career in New York, where she practised corporate and commercial law for over 10 years. She relocated to Australia in 1999.
Deborah combines a deep knowledge of her clients and the industries they operate within with a familiarity with corporate transactions that is based on over 25 years of experience in both Australia and the United States
Deborah is listed in The Best Lawyers in Australia 2019 in corporate/governance practice and is recommended in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018 in corporate and M&A.
She is a member of the Law Institute of Victoria, the Australian Corporate Lawyers Association, the Australian Private Equity and Venture Capital Association and the American Chamber of Commerce.
- Acting for Calliden Group Limited in the acquisition of Calliden by Steadfast Group Ltd by way of a scheme of arrangement (with a significant part of the business having been on-sold to Munich Re).
- Acting for Realestate.com.au Pty Ltd (a wholly owned subsidiary of REA Group Ltd) in its acquisition of 1Form Online Pty Ltd, a leading online tenancy application service in Australia and New Zealand.
- Acting for Inabox Group Limited, a telco services aggregator, in its initial public offering and listing on the ASX in 2013 and in respect of ongoing corporate matters.
- Advising Admiralty Resources NL, an ASX listed resources development company, on a range of transactions, including rights offers, share purchase plans, the sale of subsidiaries in Chile and Argentina, and a proposal by a 5% shareholder to remove two of the company’s directors and appoint the shareholder’s nominees in their stead.
- Advising Loscam Australia Pty Ltd (a company that provides returnable packaging and equipment for hire) on a range of transactions, including various supplier and customer arrangements, potential acquisitions, and competition matters.
- Advising Landmark Operations Limited in various acquisitions of agribusinesses.
- Advising Tasmanian Dairy Products Co Ltd (a majority owned subsidiary of Murray Goulburn Co-operative Co Ltd) on various contractual and other arrangements in connection with its construction and operation of a milk processing facility in Smithton, Tasmania, and its purchase and sale of raw milk and milk products.
- Acting for entities within The Victor Smorgon Group in a variety of transactions, including a series of investments in US LLCs, the restructure and refinancing of the D’vineripe tomato glasshouse business, and its investment in convertible notes of, and subsequent takeover bid for, Preshafood Limited, a fruit and vegetable juice company that uses cold high pressure processing.