Courtney practices as an insurance and litigation lawyer. She has handled various professional indemnity and public liability claims in Queensland. In particular, her practice focuses on personal injury and property liability claims under common law and statutory schemes as well as health law.
Courtney has particular expertise in personal injuries and regularly advises on catastrophic claims, fraudulent and complex economic loss claims. She also has good experience in advising on policy wording and indemnity issues.
She has managed litigation and dispute resolution in a wide range of matters for insurers including the health and care sector. She has assisted professionals to respond to investigations, inquiries and inquests and defend disciplinary proceedings.
- Advising in relation to personal injury claims, including providing advice, interviewing witnesses, negotiating settlements, drafting pleadings and preparing for and instructing counsel at trial.
- Reviewing and interpreting indemnity clauses and advising on indemnity issues, including in relation to public liability and professional indemnity policies.
- Acting for large insurers in compulsory third party claims and major claims.
- Acting for the Australian Dental Association (Qld), its members and their insurer in respect of professional negligence claims and disciplinary proceedings.
- Acting for pharmacists, physiotherapists and other allied health professionals and their insurer in professional indemnity claims and disciplinary proceedings.
- Acting for engineers and their insurer in respect of professional negligence claims.
- Advising insurers in relation to fraudulent claims and conducting investigations.
- Committee Member, Young Insurance Professionals