James has experience in a broad range of commercial and intellectual property matters, including intellectual property commercialisation, agreements and licensing, trade mark registrability and infringement issues.
James also has extensive experience in technology procurement, licensing and outsourcing matters. This work includes drafting and advising on IT contracts, including software licences, software, platform and infrastructure as a service agreements, software development agreements, IT project and implementation agreements, and IT service contracts, and drafting and advising on general commercial agreements.
James has been recognised in The Best Lawyers in Australia in Commercial Law for 2019 and 2020.
- Advising a major Australian bank on a number of technology and telecommunications procurement contracts.
- Advising a major Australian university on significant software licensing agreements, including assisting with the negotiation of new licence agreements.
- Advising the Council of Australian University Directors of Information Technology (CAUDIT) on a number of technology contracts to be entered into by Australian universities.
- Acting for a leading vehicle fleet provider in relation to a major telematics project including drafting and negotiating the telematics project agreements.
- Advising a major Australian superannuation fund on a significant digital transformation project, including drafting and advising on a number of digital project agreements.
- Preparing IT integration agreements for a major vehicle finance company in relation to a significant online vehicle finance project.
- Acting for a high-profile IT company in relation to the preparation and negotiation of complex IT platform agreements.
- Acting for a subsidiary of the Reserve Bank of Australia in relation to a number of significant procurement matters.
- Advising Cricket Australia in relation to the sale of its Australian free-to-air television and digital rights for the period 2012/2013–2016/2017.