“The ‘highly effective and efficient’ Wayne Kelcey is in charge at Hall & Wilcox” – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017
Wayne is a leading litigation and insolvency expert, with over 20 years’ experience, specialising in large and complex commercial disputes in all jurisdictions, including commercial arbitrations.
These disputes have incorporated insolvency related disputes, shareholder and partnership disputes as well as major construction and intellectual property litigation.
Wayne’s focus is on delivering the best possible commercial outcomes when it comes to litigation and dispute resolution, and clients appreciate his strategic approach and quick identification of issues.
His clients include well known international corporates, manufacturers, building companies and many of Australia’s leading accounting and insolvency firms. Specifically, Wayne has developed very strong relationships within the insolvency industry and has acted in a number of high profile insolvencies from a variety of perspectives. He has also acted for a number of clients in relation to large complex litigation matters.
Wayne is listed in the The Best Lawyers in Australia in litigation every year since 2016 . He is also recognised as a Recommended Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyer 2018 in the Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession.
He is a member of the Melbourne Central Insolvency Discussion Group and is a regular presenter at various insolvency conferences nationally and is the co-author of the PPSA Survival Guide for Insolvency Practitioners.
- Acting for a major creditor in relation to the collapse of the Australian Music Group.
- Advising the liquidator of Bill Express Pty Ltd (In Liquidation) in respect of a variety of matters including two unfair preference claims exceeding $100 million, and claims against the company’s auditors.
- Acting for the administrators of the Wettenhalls Logistics Group.
- Acting for the administrators of the Hastie Group in relation to a variety of PPSA issues.
- Acting for the administrators of the Hayles College.
- Acting for the receivers of Lincraft Pty Ltd in the defence of approximately 30 retention of title claims totaling $5.5 million.
- Acting for the liquidators of Dare Gallery.
- Acting for the liquidators of the Westwater Group.
- Advising Deloitte Consulting in the prosecution of a $120 million claim against six former consultants for breach of contract and common law rights.
- Advising Ericsson Australia in the prosecution of a $40 million claim against the State of Tasmania and the Hydroelectric Corporation for misleading and deceptive conduct.
- Advising Ericsson Australia in the prosecution of a major claim arising out of the construction of the 3G telecommunications network.
- Acting for the Showmen’s Guild of Australasia in relation to allegations of breaches by the Guild of the Trade Practices Act 1974 (Cth) (now the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth)).
- Advising Sino Business Services in a claim for $46 million relating to a share sale agreement and the acquisition of land rights in China.
- Advising a range of clients in numerous applications for interlocutory relief including injunctive relief and Anton Pillar orders.
- Advising various clients in the enforcement of intellectual property rights including copyright, trade marks, patents, and trade secrets.