Terry has over 25 years' insurance litigation experience, with his past 20 years focused predominantly on advising underwriters and self-insurers in the defence of damages claims for personal injuries, property damage and financial loss. Terry has an in-depth understanding of and expertise in the Personal Injuries Proceedings Act 2002, The Civil Liability Act 2003 and the Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003.
In the 2018 Doyle's Guide, Terry was recognised as leading defendant lawyer in Workers’ Compensation & WorkCover and a recommended defendant lawyer in Public & Product Liability, Dust Diseases and CTP. He was also recognised in The Best Lawyers in Australia in Insurance Law and Personal Injury Litigation for 2019 and 2020. He is the current chair of the Queensland Law Society Specialist Accreditation Advisory Committee and is an accredited specialist in personal injuries.
Terry is adept in managing complex claims and multi-party claims across a broad range of industries, with a particular focus on the mining, construction and health industries. He is trusted by clients to deal with their most sensitive or high risk claims. His ability to advocate his client’s position is best summed up by the words of mediator, Peter Munro when he says, “As a consequence of my contact with Terry, I can say, with some conviction, that he is one of the best advocates in the mediation context, either barrister or solicitor, with whom I regularly have any contact”.
Terry is a member of the Queensland Law Society and the Australian Insurance Law Association.
- Advising a multinational paint manufacturer and its insurers in relation to a series of claims exceeding $10 million arising out of the supply and application of allegedly unsuitable and effective protective coatings at a number of Queensland prisons
- Acting in a series of regulatory prosecution and civil damages claims arising out of fatalities at Queensland coal mines including dependency claims and claims for pure psychiatric injury;
- Advising religious institutions and schools in the defence of sensitive abuse claims and their responses to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse
- Advising a multinational mining company in relation to a $60 million claim for physical damage to property, allegedly arising from blasting activities within the mine.
- Advising WorkCover Queensland and a number of self-insurers in the defence of claims for catastrophic injury against employers including spinal injury, brain damage and loss of multiple limbs.
- Advising private hospitals, medical practitioners and their insurers in the defence of claims arising out of the treatment of patients.
Awards and recognition
Best Lawyers in Australia – 2019, 2020 and 2021Partner – Insurance Law, Personal Injury Litigation
- Queensland Law Society
- Australian Insurance Law Association