Matthew is an experienced insurance litigation lawyer who specialises in defending NSW compulsory third party (CTP) claims.
Matthew provides advice and acts on behalf of insurers before the District and Supreme Courts of NSW and the Personal Injury Commission (PIC). He has been successful in a number of appeals with the NSW Court of Appeal.
Prior to his admission to the Supreme Court of NSW, Matthew spent a number of years working for plaintiffs in personal injury proceedings.
- Acting for CTP insurers in matters involving complex liability issues including alleged staged accidents, intoxication, fraudulent claims, street racing and complex contributory negligence.
- Acting in matters involving complex medical issues including causation and quantum of serious spinal and brain injuries, amputation and alleged psychological injuries.
- Managing claims through the Personal Injury Commission, District and Supreme Courts.
- Conducting sensitive settlement negotiations.
- Obtaining verdicts for the defendant in personal injury matters where liability was disputed.
- Matthew has acted on behalf of CTP Insurers in the following notable matters:
- Insurance Australia Limited t/as NRMA v Gurbuz Aslan  NSWSC 1587
- Insurance Australia Limited t/as NRMA v McBlane  NSWSC
Awards and recognition
Best Lawyers in Australia 2023Recognised – Insurance Law ('Ones to Watch 2023')
- Law Society of NSW