Kelli has extensive experience in insurance, product liability, public liability and workers’ compensation having acted for more than 30 years on behalf of insurers (both domestic and international), corporations, government bodies and instrumentalities. In the insurance area she has vast experience in acting on liability claims, particularly product liability public liability and workers’ compensation. She has appeared before courts, regulatory bodies, inquiries and coronial inquests throughout Australia.
Kelli is well placed to advise on issues of insurance through her high profile in the national insurance industry with experience in serving on the board of the Australian Insurance Law Association Ltd (AILA) as past President, past Vice President and past National Secretary. She has also served as past Chairman of the Queensland branch. This has provided her with insight into the wider issues that impact on the insurance industry generally. Her contribution was acknowledged when she was awarded life membership.
Kelli was a member of the Queensland Workplace Health and Safety Board for 15 years, the peak advisory board on occupational health and safety issues to the Minister for Employment, Training and Industrial Relations. Kelli is the only Australian member of the Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC) in the US.
Kelli has a long record of providing resources for training both in-house and on site for many key clients, industry groups and legal groups having presented and chaired over 250 seminars including to the Queensland Law Society, AILA, PLAC, the Claims Discussion Group. Kelli is a trained mediator and has represented clients in hundreds of formal settlements conferences and mediations. Kelli is also an immediate past member of the Executive International Law Section of the Law Council of Australia.
Kelli has been recognised in The Best Lawyers in Australia in Insurance Law, Personal Injury Litigation and Product Liability Litigation since 2018.
Since 2016 Kelli has been listed as recommended in the Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession in Workers Compensation and WorkCover Lawyers, Public Liability Defendant and since 2017 Product Liability Defendant.
- Successfully defending an insurer in relation to numerous personal injuries Supreme Court and District Court trials in Queensland involving significant fraud, liability, quantum and credit issues
- Acting on behalf of an international vehicle component manufacturer in a coronial inquest where a high-level strategy was implemented, organised a team of barristers, solicitors and international and Australian witnesses concerning a catastrophic incident that resulted in multiple deaths and damages in the millions. No adverse findings were made. Seven litigated claims for major property damage, personal injury including nervous shock and loss of dependency arose from this incident, which were successfully resolved through the process of mediation.
- Acting in a number of complex personal injury claims and court applications (including an administrative law/judicial review matter) involving self-represented litigations and vexatious litigants
- Advising a US manufacturer on procedural and evidential issues under the Hague Convention in relation to product liability claim involving a catastrophic injury
- Managing liability claims for a major vehicle manufacturer across products in Asia. This required liaison with their officers in Japan and the United States, their claims management team, and international and local experts in relation to alleged design and manufacturing defects.
- Acting for a major international tyre brand to defend multiple claims involving allegations of manufacturing defects under the Australian Consumer Law and negligence.
- Acting on behalf of the insurer of a banana bag supplier in the defence of a number of claims by banana growers for crop damage and losses due to faulty banana bags. The banana bags had not been UV-treated, according to specifications, by the overseas manufacturer. The claims were resolved all issues through informal negotiations
- Acting on behalf of a major vehicle manufacture before a coronial inquest – aware that the Coroner was considering recommending major design modifications to the class of vehicles involved took a leading role in achieving agreement for a coordinated approach by all manufacturers represented at the inquest. Over 20,000 pages of expert evidence were gathered from Australian and international experts and in-depth investigations of seven separate accident sites over two states were conducted. No design changes were recommended by the coroner. Findings were delivered without significant adverse results to the distributors, manufacturers or the product. Personal injury actions that arose were resolved.
- Acting on behalf of a paint manufacturer that in relation to warehouse fire which resulted in millions of dollars of property damage with multiple plaintiffs and defendants. This required significant investigation of the physical evidence and engaging numerous experts. This involved preparation of extensive affidavit evidence. The claim was resolved in mediation.
- Acting in numerous personal injury security assault claims and slip and falls arising out of incidents at bars and hotels.
- Recent successful trial outcomes of Clarricoats v J.J. Richards & Sons Pty Ltd (Rockhampton Supreme Court) and Evans v Avron Investments Pty Ltd (Brisbane District Court).