Joanna is an experienced insurance lawyer, specialising in statutory classes of insurance.
Joanna has extensive experience advising and representing employers, self-insurers, NSW workers’ compensation managed fund scheme agents, treasury managed fund agents and the Workers’ Compensation Nominal Insurer (icare).
Joanna’s practice incorporates of statutory and common law claims and judicial review matters. She manages matters involving both physical and psychological injuries, litigated matters and non-litigated advice work.
She regularly appears in the NSW Workers’ Compensation Commission, District Court and Supreme Court.
Self-insurer and employer clients value Joanna’s strong understanding of the claims management process and the challenges they face in managing workers’ compensation claims. Prior to being admitted as a solicitor, Joanna worked for a large NSW workers’ compensation insurer providing her with first-hand experience in the day to day management of claims.
Joanna regularly presents seminars and provides formal and informal training to self-insurers and employers on management of workers’ compensation liability, management of workers’ compensation claims and legal developments in NSW workers’ compensation.
Joanna has been recognised in The Best Lawyers in Australia in Insurance Law for 2020
- Advising a number of NSW workers’ compensation self-insurers and employers
- Advising and representing the Workers’ Compensation Nominal Insurer (icare) in respect of significant injury claims and claims made against uninsured employers.
- Working with NSW managed fund and treasury managed fund scheme agents and self-insurers, as well as small and large employers and brokers, in conjunction with their insurers.
- Managing a large volume practice through significant reforms to the NSW workers’ compensation scheme and advising regularly on the application of these changes.
- Acting in NSW Court of Appeal proceedings concerning interpretation of legislation