James has experience in a broad range of commercial and intellectual property matters, including intellectual property commercialisation, agreements and licensing, trade mark registrability and infringement issues.
James also has extensive experience in technology procurement, licensing and outsourcing matters. This work includes drafting and advising on IT contracts, including software licences, software, platform and infrastructure as a service agreements, software development agreements, IT project and implementation agreements, and IT service contracts, and drafting and advising on general commercial agreements.
James has been recognised in The Best Lawyers in Australia in Commercial Law for 2019 and 2020.
- Advising a major Australian bank on a number of technology and telecommunications procurement contracts.
- Advising a major Australian superannuation fund on a significant digital transformation project, including drafting, advising on and negotiating a number of key project agreements.
- Advising the Council of Australian University Directors of Information Technology (CAUDIT) on contracts to be entered into by Australian universities with major IT vendors.
- Acting for a multi-national systems integrator in relation to a number of significant IT projects, including in the energy, infrastructure, healthcare and government sectors.
- Acting for a leading vehicle fleet provider in relation to a major telematics project including drafting and negotiating the telematics project agreements.
- Advising a leading insurance provider on a major payroll outsourcing project.
- Preparing IT integration agreements for a major vehicle finance company in relation to a significant online vehicle finance project.
- Advising on major media rights transactions for clients including AFL and Cricket Australia.
- Acting for a subsidiary of the Reserve Bank of Australia in relation to a number of significant procurement matters.
- Advising Cricket Australia in relation to the sale of its Australian free-to-air television and digital rights for the period 2012/2013–2016/2017.
Awards and recognition
Best Lawyers in Australia 2019-2022Partner – Commercial Law
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021Recommended – Media and Entertainment
Technology & Digital Economy | 7 Oct 2021
The spotlight is on the games industry in Australia. For those who are either in, or looking to break into, this industry, we set out some key legal considerations.