Hamish is an experienced commercial litigator, with a particular focus on defamation, financial services disputes and complex corporate and trust disputes. He has a has a reputation for achieving the best commercial outcomes for his clients with a measured approach to the dispute resolution process.
Hamish’s experience includes managing complex commercial disputes in the Federal Court and Supreme Courts of New South Wales, Victoria and the Australian Capital Territory. He is also highly skilled in dispute negotiation, alternative dispute resolution, conciliation and mediation. Hamish acts for both public and private sector clients and his broad experience extends to applications for urgent relief, appellate matters and defence of class actions.
- Acting for individuals and corporate clients in relation to the prosecution and defence of claims arising from defamatory publications, including in the context of corporate disputes, sporting and cultural organisations and traditional and social media publications
- Acting for funds managers and trustees of significant wholesale and retail investment funds including in relation to regulatory matters and investor disputes
- Acting for trustees and beneficiaries in relation to claims for breach of trust and related duties
- Acting for directors, officers and shareholders of corporate entities in relation to claims of misconduct, including applications for urgent relief
- Acting for public and private entities in relation to contractual disputes and breaches of the Australian Consumer Law
- Acting for public and private clients in defence of class actions including the successful defence of class action proceedings commenced in the Federal Court against a public regulator alleging misfeasance in public office and negligence
Defamation | 9 Mar 2021
How effective is defamation law as a tool to moderate debate on a heated topic? What can the media and commentators report? We look at when and how defamation law can be used.