Drew has over 20 years’ experience as an insurance and commercial litigation lawyer. His area of focus has been the defence of professional negligence claims, directors’ and officers’ claims and medical malpractice.
His commercial dispute practice includes shareholder, partnership and joint venture disputes, domestic and commercial building disputes, injunctive and declaratory relief and administrative law.
Drew advises on risk management for professional service firms.
Drew has been listed in The Best Lawyers in Australia in insurance law, litigation and professional malpractice litigation every year since 2011. He is listed as a preeminent professional indemnity lawyer in Queensland in Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession.
He is an associate of the Australian Property Institute, a member of the Australian Professional Indemnity Group and a committee member of the Queensland chapter of the Australian Insurance Law Association.
- Advising numerous corporations (property investment fund, consulting engineers, real estate consultancies, electricity generators and manufacturers) regarding their business risks and the scope and adequacy of their insurance programs.
- Acting in claims against building consultants (engineers, architects, geotechs and surveyors) including claims relating to road construction, a gold and processing plant, commercial and residential buildings, gas storage, train stations, wharves and waste disposal facilities.
- Acted for building consultants in response to investigations by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (and its predecessor).
- Acting in coverage disputes for insurers and insureds with respect to coverage under many types of insurance policy, in particular thermal well policies, professional indemnity policies and directors and officers policies
- Acting for the professional indemnity insurers of solicitors in Queensland since 1995, including numerous multi-million dollar claims concerning property transactions (options and mortgages). Acting for one firm of solicitors regarding multiple actions brought by almost 50 clients concerning a series of failed property investments.
- Acting for various professional indemnity insurers concerning litigated policy coverage disputes.
- Acting for the Australian Dental Association (Qld), its members and their insurer in respect of professional negligence claims.
- Acting for real estate valuers and their insurers concerning professional negligence claims, including multi-million dollar claims concerning a major shopping centre; leisure/resort properties in northern Queensland; shopping centres; commercial and industrial buildings; prestige residential properties and rent reviews.
- Acting in accountant professional negligence claims regarding audits; taxation advice; superannuation advice and business advisors.
- Acting for numerous allied health care providers (physiotherapists, psychologists, chiropractors, naturopaths, nurses) with respect to disciplinary investigations by the Office of the Health Ombudsman and AHPRA.
- Acting for insurers and office holders of corporations and state owned corporations under D&O policies regarding claims concerning misrepresentations to third parties and shareholder claims.
- Acting for corporations and their insurers regarding investigations by government bodies, such as ASIC and the ATO.
- Advising companies of their obligations under the Money Laundering legislation in Australia and other jurisdictions.