Bridget specialises in general insurance litigation. She has over 10 years’ experience as an insurance litigation lawyer focusing predominently on professional indemnity, medical liability claims and indemnity disputes.
Bridget has worked extensively within the insurance industry throughout Australia having practised as a solicitor in Queensland, Tasmania and New South Wales. She has defended professional negligence claims for a variety of professionals including accountants, lawyers, insurance brokers, engineers and various other professions.
She has particular expertise in acting for leading Australian and international insurers in relation to policy disputes. She has a thorough understanding of insurance issues including notification issues arising under claims made policies, duty of disclosure, application of exclusions, dual insurance and the application of the Insurance Contracts Act.
Bridget is experienced in dispute resolution including appearing in the Federal Court of Australia, the Supreme and District Court in New South Wales, the Supreme and District Court of Queensland, the Supreme Court of Tasmania and Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal as well as obtaining successful outcomes for her clients at mediation and conciliation.
Bridget was previously the Treasurer of the Association of Women In Insurance in NSW and a committee member of the Australian Insurance Law Association in Tasmania.
- Providing complex indemnity coverage advice to insurers in respect to professional indemnity insurance policies and breaches of the relevant provisions of the Insurance Contracts Act 1984 (Cth).
- Successfully defending a claim brought in the Federal Court of Australia directly against a solicitor’s professional indemnity insurer seeking damages for breach by the solicitor of his contractual and tortious duties in relation to recording a family arrangement; Jones v AAI Limited trading as Vero Insurance  FCA 1244.
- Defending claims brought against a national real estate agent and its insurer concerning disputes involving prestige residential properties, multi-million dollar developments and allegations of misleading and deceptive conduct.
- Acting on behalf of a director and officer of a not-for-profit indigenous association and its insurer regarding a multimillion dollar claim concerning a failure to act in good faith and with care and diligence in respect to a guarantee and security given pursuant to a loan agreement.
- Acting for the Australian Dental Association (QLD) its members and their insurer in respect of professional negligence claims and disciplinary proceedings.
- Acting on behalf of health care professionals and their insurers in civil claims for damages, professional conduct matters, coronial inquest and employment disputes across a number of Australian jurisdictions.
- Managing a variety of claims on behalf of a private not-for profit health care organisation including civil claims for damages and coronial inquests.
- Secondment to Lexon Insurance Pte Ltd as a claims solicitor during managing a claims portfolio comprised of a range of legal practice areas including commercial disputes, residential conveyancing, personal injuries, wills and estates and family law.
Awards and recognition
Best Lawyers in Australia 2023Recognised – Insurance Law, Legal Malpractice Litigation
- Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA)
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Australian Legal Sector Alliance
Insurance | 7 Jun 2022
Make your offers count! The Supreme Court of Queensland revisits the principles relating to compliant UCPR and Calderbank offers
The Supreme Court of Queensland has recently re-examined the principles that will enliven a costs award following the provision of a formal offer.