The transport and trade industry has seen substantial changes over the past 24 months, with the increase of some global markets and collapse of others. As the world moves into a post-COVID-19 ‘normal’, it will be important to understand how your international trading will be impacted.
How we can help
Our national transport team has a deep understanding of the challenges faced by the transport industry both globally and within Australia. We have expertise in shipping, aviation, road transport and the insurances that underpin the global supply chain.
We work with local and international stakeholders to resolve commodities and trade disputes. Our team regularly litigates in the State and Federal Courts and handles disputes in Australian and international arbitration.
Our marine insurance experts work with the Australian marine insurance market, international insurers and P&I clubs to resolve coverage issues, claims and successfully pursue recovery actions.
Our team advises on matters including:
- Carriage of goods by sea – Advising ship owners, operators, managers, charterers, cargo interests and their insurers on the wide range of disputes that arise during international trade.
- Carriage of goods by road and air – Advising airlines, road carriers, insurers and cargo interests on claims arising out of losses during land and air transport.
- Personal injury in the aviation and marine industries – Defence of personal injury claims by passengers, crew, ground handlers and stevedores.
- Marine insurance – Advising P&I, H&M, cargo, liability and pleasurecraft insurers on coverage, claims and recoveries across Australia.
- Shipping regulatory – Advising on the regulation of Australian shipping including coastal trading, freight tax, payment of seafarers, importation and operation of vessels in Australia.
- Industrial relations – Advising local and international employers of crew, stevedores.
- Prosecutions and detentions - Defending ship owners, operators and crew members following marine pollution incidents, negligent navigation and Port State Control detentions.
- Casualties – Emergency response including groundings, salvage, towage, collisions and pollution incidents.
- Ship Arrest – Arresting ships or securing their release in all jurisdictions around Australia.
Insurance| 05 Mar 2021
Navigating subrogated recoveries when an insurer and insured retain a significant interest in the proceeds is always a tricky exercise.