Hall & Wilcox’s corporate tax team provides strategic and practical corporate tax advice to listed and privately owned corporate groups on a broad range of domestic and cross-border transactions, projects and restructures.
We help our corporate clients navigate complex legislation and achieve tax efficiencies. Where our clients require a combined service offering, we work closely with our corporate and commercial team to provide integrated results-driven service.
We closely follow legislative and regulatory developments and are quick to communicate how this may impact our clients.
- Advising on the tax implications associated with the acquisition of an insurance company and the potential application of the anti-avoidance provisions.
- Advising on the buy out of a major shareholder of a large private investment group, including preservation of the group’s tax losses.
- Structuring the sale of numerous businesses to permit the vendors’ access to available CGT concessions while giving the purchaser a new, clean acquisition vehicle.
- Advising on the use of selective share buy backs, as an alternative to a share sale, when retiring shareholders from corporate groups.
- Advising on the tax and trust law issues arising in establishing a syndicated arrangement supporting a finance company.
- Advising on the effectiveness of trust distributions by a large retail group.
- Advising on the roll-up of numerous financial planning businesses to a large “consolidator” of such businesses.
- Advising on the trust law implications associated with executing a gas abandonment deed.
- Advising a large multinational fund manager on the income tax issues for the fund manager and investors of investing in capital protected products.
Tax| 25 Oct 2021
First step forward for tax and crypto: Final Report from the Select Committee on Australia as a Technology and Financial Centre
The recommendations of the Final Report from the Select Committee on Australia as a Technology and Financial Centre attempt to address a number of cryptocurrency- and blockchain-related taxation issues that have been on the Commissioner of Taxation's radar for the better part of the last decade.
Tax| 21 Oct 2021
In this issue of Talking Tax, we examine the Full Federal Court’s decision in the Greensill appeal and when a settlement payment will be an employment termination payment, as considered in the Stark case.
Tax| 18 Oct 2021
In this edition, we consider the new DDO interim instruments, ASIC’s updated anti-hawking regulatory guidance and updates in relation to the new breach reporting regime and internal dispute resolution requirements, and much more.
Tax| 14 Oct 2021
The hot button issues in the Victorian property industry right now are the Victorian Government’s latest Build-to Rent announcements and the controversial Windfall Gains Tax. With the draft legislation now released, the wait is finally over.