Our legal team have experience in the full spectrum of professional indemnity claims, having acted for insurance clients in these type of claims for more than three decades. Our resourcing and national capability enable us to effectively manage all types of professional indemnity claims, from cost-effective solutions for low value claims, to more complex multi-million-dollar multi-party litigation.
We have provided coverage advice and successfully defended hundreds of claims against a diverse range of professionals including:
- town planners
- construction professionals (including developers, builders, design and construct contractors, project managers, quantity surveyors, architects, engineers, and certifiers)
- financial services professionals (including wealth management professionals, financial planners, mortgage brokers)
- IT professionals
- insurance brokers
- real estate agents
- medical professionals (including general practitioners, surgeons, other specialist practitioners, private and public hospital staff)
- allied health professionals (including dentists, pharmacists, radiologists, physiotherapists, podiatrists, chiropractors, psychologist, psychiatrists).
- Successfully defending a claim brought against a Brisbane law firm in the Supreme Court of Queensland by the widow and two children of a deceased estate seeking damages in excess of $40 million.
- Successfully defending at first instance and in the NSW Court of Appeal, our insurance broker client and its insurer concerning a claim against a broker for alleged failure to obtain adequate cover and associated loss.
- We have handled many complex claims including a current coverage matter involving a global firm sued in a securities class action in China.
- Defending a $122M+ claim against accountants arising out of one of Australia’s largest funds management collapses. The claim was recently dismissed for repeated pleading defaults amounting to want of prosecution.
- Defending a quantity surveyor which had acted for a bank in a multi-million-dollar commercial project that went well over budget in Parramatta NSW.
- Defending an environmental consultant against a claim arising from alleged negligent testing for asbestos at a redevelopment site.
Insurance| 07 Dec 2023
In our latest update for self-insurers, we examine two recent Victorian Court of Appeal decisions around the assessment of impairment and highlight the implications for self-insurers.
Insurance| 04 Dec 2023
We consider the recent decision of Pinnacle Living Pty Limited & Anor v QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited and its implications for insurers.
Insurance| 27 Nov 2023
The NSW Supreme Court has confirmed that handwritten notes used by an expert when providing a preliminary verbal opinion to solicitors may not be protected by legal professional privilege.
Insurance| 24 Nov 2023
We examine the Court’s decision in the consolidated proceedings of Citywide Service Solutions Pty Ltd v Rosata; Kabbout v Crown Melbourne Ltd and its implications in public liability proceedings.