Our medical malpractice team has extensive expertise in the health professions and care sectors Australia-wide.
We advise on a broad range of professional indemnity, public liability, product liability and disciplinary claims. Our work extends from claims management to policy development and risk assessments. We also offer value-add services, such as advice hotlines.
- Successfully defending District Court of New South Wales proceedings brought against a chiropractor alleged to have caused significant lower back injury.
- Successfully defending Supreme Court of Western Australia proceedings brought against a physiotherapist alleged to have caused significant lower back issues.
- Representing podiatric surgeons alleged to have negligently performed surgery in a number of matters litigated in Western Australia and Queensland.
- Defending a dentist in Supreme Court of New South Wales proceedings involving allegations of negligent and unnecessary dental work (including on appeal).
- Defending a nurse and his employer in Victorian Supreme Court proceeding involving allegations that the plaintiff suffered a massive stroke as a result of the negligent insertion of a catheter.
- Successfully defending Western Australia State Administrative Tribunal proceedings brought against a physiotherapist accused of molesting a patient (including appeal).
- Representing pharmacists before various tribunals in numerous states accused of dispensing anabolic steroids to body builders.
- Acting for Western Australian public hospitals in numerous professional negligence claims.
- Successfully defending Western Australia District Court proceedings against an orthopaedic surgeon alleged to have caused compartment syndrome.
- Representing an optometrist in a complaint before the Western Australia State Administrative Tribunal, which were resolved at mediation without any adverse impact on the optometrist’s registration.
- Successfully defending District Court of New South Wales proceedings brought against a prominent equine veterinary practice alleged to have misinterpreted radiology on a racehorse (including on appeal).
Insurance| 23 Sep 2021
In this edition, we consider the final breach reporting regulatory guide, electronic execution and virtual meetings legislation, judicial commentary in relation to an AFS licensee’s supervisory arrangements, and much more.
Insurance| 13 Sep 2021
ASIC has now published its updated and final guidance on the new breach reporting regime for AFS and credit licensees that will apply from 1 October 2021.
Insurance| 12 Aug 2021
Chief Justice Allsop has rejected Star Entertainment Group’s attempt to recoup its losses from the COVID-19 pandemic through its $4 billion Chubb ISR policy.
Insurance| 10 Aug 2021
Directors of listed entities, and their insurers, are set to benefit from a relaxation of continuous disclosure laws, which are shortly to be made permanent under new legislation.