We have extensive experience advising a range of companies on the full spectrum of misleading and deceptive conduct laws.
This includes advertising, in particular comparative advertising.
It also includes:
- product labelling requirements;
- product recall procedures and product liability issues;
- accuracy of label warnings; and
- TPA and country of origin compliance.
- Successfully representing a number of executives of a large international financial institution who were issued with notices under the Australian Securities and Investments Commission Act 2001 in connection with an allegation that the financial institution engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct in respect of credit limits. We represented the clients in ASIC examinations and in respect of all dealings with ASIC.
- Defending prosecutions:
- acting in defence of an ACCC prosecution for misleading and deceptive conduct by a telecommunications service provider;
- defending an abalone industry operator in Federal Court proceedings by the ACCC for cartel behaviour; and
- defending Ampol Petroleum for price fixing.
Competition & Consumer Law| 01 Nov 2023
We consider Australia’s current merger control regime and the ACCC’s proposals to make merger notification mandatory.
Competition & Consumer Law| 15 Jun 2022
In June 2021, the Motor Vehicle Information Scheme was passed to establish mandatory sharing of motor vehicle service and repair information.
Competition & Consumer Law| 17 Nov 2020
New regulations that broaden the Consumer Guarantees regime and provide greater protection for consumers and business customers come into force in July 2021.
Competition & Consumer Law| 27 Nov 2018
On 16 November, ASIC has amended the ASIC Corporations (Non-cash Payment Facilities) Instrument 2016/211 to remove an expiry date that would have seen the instrument ceasing to operate in March 2019.