Zoe is a specialist insurance lawyer who manages complex and varied matters for a number of leading corporate insurers and Lloyd's of London syndicates.
She acts in litigated public liability claims (including dust diseases), professional indemnity claims, and coverage disputes.
Zoe’s clients value the quality of her advice and her advocacy skills. She is regarded as a conscientious practitioner, who seeks out commercial and pragmatic solutions to disputes that take into account both the legal issues and her clients’ internal drivers. She takes pride in efficiently achieving the best possible results for her clients.
- Defending a nurse and his employer in a Victorian Supreme Court proceeding against allegations he caused the plaintiff to suffer a massive stroke as a result of the negligent insertion of a catheter.
- Defending a geotechnical engineer against a claim for property damage in which it was alleged that the engineer’s improper classification of the soil at the claimants’ property resulted in settlement and damage to their home. The claim was resolved quickly and below the deductible.
- Providing advice on coverage issues arising out of natural disasters such as the 2011 Queensland floods and 2014 Hazelwood open-cut mine fire.
- Defending a $4 million personal injury claim. Zoe uncovered evidence which established that, although the plaintiff had genuinely sustained an injury in the manner alleged, he had been dishonest regarding his medical and employment history. This evidence enabled Zoe to settle the claim for amount equivalent to the plaintiff’s costs of the proceeding.
- Defending a property damage dispute between neighbours involving allegations of poisoning. The plaintiff claimed damages of over $1.4 million but was ultimately awarded only $5000, with Zoe’s client awarded costs.
- Defending numerous security companies against allegations of assault causing personal injuries.
- Zoe has also had significant experience acting on behalf of a large self-insured asbestos manufacturer in relation to asbestos-related personal injury claims.
Best Lawyers in Australia 2017 - 2021Partner – Real Property Law
Doyles GuideRecommended – Town Planning and Development, Environment, Natural Heritage, Sustainability and Climate Change
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020Recommended – Real Estate
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance (ANZIIF)
- Women in Insurance
- Young Insurance Professionals