Thomas is an experienced litigation lawyer with knowledge across a diverse range of litigation practice areas. Thomas focusses on contractual disputes between businesses and individuals, advising on insolvency and administration, ‘security of payment’ construction disputes, and estate disputes.
Thomas aims to provide cost effective and high quality legal solutions to organisations and individuals particularly in the Newcastle region, but also in Sydney. Thomas frequently conducts matters in the NSW Local, District and Supreme Courts.
- Acted for an Australian producer of fresh produce in a cross-border claim against a Hong Kong based company purchaser, including advising on cross-border enforcement, and negotiating settlement.
- Acted for a travel and medical assistance services company against a travel insurance client, including negotiating settlement.
- Acted for multiple executors of deceased estates in defending family provision claims, and in long running contested probate proceedings in the Supreme Court of NSW.
- Acted for and advised a professional services business in relation to a major division of the shareholding in the business, including division of assets, equity and liabilities, restraint of trade, including final hearing in the Supreme Court of NSW.
- Acted for a large housing services provider in defending payment claims under the ‘Security of Payments’ legislation.
- Drafted and negotiated terms of a hire purchase agreement for a large mining sector client.
- Acted for a bank in mortgage enforcement work and other debt recovery for property in New South Wales, South Australia and Queensland.
- Acted for purchasers of large ‘off-the-plan’ construction projects, including advising on breach of contract, ‘Sunset-date’ provisions, and misleading and deceptive conduct.
- Acted for a company registered in Indonesia in proceedings against an Australian company for recovery of amounts outstanding under a contract for manufacturing of components for use in infrastructure and construction projects.
- Provided advice to insolvency practitioners on various areas in insolvency and administration work, deeds of company arrangement, and Court applications for payment of surplus.
- Acted in various pro bono matters in the firm’s pro bono team.
- Defended an adjudication for major construction company against subcontractor applicant for adjudication, including advising on contracts, and compiling evidence.
- Acted for and advised individual and business clients in relation to diverse commercial disputes.
- Advised and acted for clients in internal employment matters, breaches of confidentiality, estate disputes, banking and finance, leasing and subleasing.
- Conducted and appeared for clients in numerous proceedings in the NCAT, Local, District and Supreme Courts.
- Acted in debt recovery matters including in building and construction disputes, Statutory Demands, insolvency and administration, and ATO unfair preference claims.